May 3, 2014, 11:54 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks made a point to re-sign veteran forwards Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau during the 2013-14 season, yet they left things hanging with defenseman Dan Boyle. The scoring blueliner told the Mercury News that he’d like to remain with San Jose, but he made one thing even clearer: he believes that he has plenty left in the tank.
“It’s too easy to say ‘he’s old and done,’ ” Boyle said. “That’s just a thing that’s too easy to say. At some point that’ll be true, but I don’t believe for one second that that is true.”
It’s easy to boil it all down to his point totals – 36 in 75 regular season games, four assists in the seven playoff games – and point to his days as a regular 50+ point guy. The 37-year-old made no mistake that he was limited by a concussion for a big chunk of this season and believes that a nice finish (including five points in six April games) makes an argument that he can still flirt with the work from his prime if healthy.
“I play a certain way. I’m a risk-reward type of player and we went through a stretch of games where we were winning and I wasn’t getting any points,” Boyle said. “I was making some very simple plays, but they were effective. The fact that it was too simple, eventually, I received some unfair comments because of that.”
The outspoken defenseman blasted the media for criticizing him, but ultimately, it all comes down to how the Sharks feel about him. If they think the game has passed him by to the point that they won’t offer the deal he wants (Boyle appears eager to get more than a one-year contract), then he may need to convince one of the league’s other 29 teams otherwise.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
Nov 22, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
He’s out Saturday, for sure.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
A fun way to mislead people about Cory Schneider’s workhorse run.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
NHL makes it official.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Not a lot of good news in Edmonton.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
“They know who is the man.”
Nov 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Tough loss for Vancouver.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)