May 3, 2014, 11:54 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks made a point to re-sign veteran forwards Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau during the 2013-14 season, yet they left things hanging with defenseman Dan Boyle. The scoring blueliner told the Mercury News that he’d like to remain with San Jose, but he made one thing even clearer: he believes that he has plenty left in the tank.
“It’s too easy to say ‘he’s old and done,’ ” Boyle said. “That’s just a thing that’s too easy to say. At some point that’ll be true, but I don’t believe for one second that that is true.”
It’s easy to boil it all down to his point totals – 36 in 75 regular season games, four assists in the seven playoff games – and point to his days as a regular 50+ point guy. The 37-year-old made no mistake that he was limited by a concussion for a big chunk of this season and believes that a nice finish (including five points in six April games) makes an argument that he can still flirt with the work from his prime if healthy.
“I play a certain way. I’m a risk-reward type of player and we went through a stretch of games where we were winning and I wasn’t getting any points,” Boyle said. “I was making some very simple plays, but they were effective. The fact that it was too simple, eventually, I received some unfair comments because of that.”
The outspoken defenseman blasted the media for criticizing him, but ultimately, it all comes down to how the Sharks feel about him. If they think the game has passed him by to the point that they won’t offer the deal he wants (Boyle appears eager to get more than a one-year contract), then he may need to convince one of the league’s other 29 teams otherwise.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)