Veteran goalie Garon calls it a career

May 2, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

mathieugarongetty Getty Images

On Friday, longtime NHL goalie Mathieu Garon announced his retirement.

“For the past 13 years, I have been fortunate to earn my living playing hockey in the National Hockey League,” Garon said in a statement released by CAA, his representation (per ESPN). “I wanted to take this opportunity to thank my teammates, coaches and, most importantly, the fans. Every city I played in, the fans always welcomed my family and me with open arms. I will cherish the memories and friendships I made during my career. Finally, I want to say a special thank you to my family, who have been incredibly supportive of me throughout my career. Without them, I wouldn’t have been able to live my dream.”

Garon, 36, was taken by Montreal with the 44th overall pick at the ’96 draft and spent four seasons with the Habs before getting traded to L.A. With the Kings, Garon enjoyed his finest season, recording 31 wins in 2005-06 while posting a career-high four shutouts.

In 2009, Garon was dealt to Pittsburgh months before the start of the playoffs and won a Cup with the Penguins, serving as Marc-Andre Fleury‘s backup while making one postseason relief appearance.

Garon had a mini-renaissance with the Lightning in 2011-12, posting a 23-16-4 record, but struggled in his final campaign (the lockout-shortened ’13 season) and failed to latch on with a club this year, eventually making 18 appearances in the KHL for Avangard Omsk.

Latest Posts
  1. Panthers clear captain Mitchell, put Montoya on IR

Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST

Florida Panthers v Calgary Flames Getty Images

Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.

2. Capitals call up Burakovsky

Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST

Andre Burakovsky AP

May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.

3. Rangers take the positives out of OT loss to Red Wings

Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST

Cam Talbot AP

Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.

4. Video: Hammond, Senators win again

Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST

Ottawa Senators v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

What a roll he and the Sens are on.

5. Video: Iginla reaches 20-goal mark for 16th time in NHL career

Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST

Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche

He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.

6. Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST

Marek Zidlicky, Jesper Fast AP

What better way to make an impression on new teammates.

7. Video: Byfuglien leaves game with upper-body injury

Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Dustin Byfuglien Getty

Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.

8. Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST

MartinDaley

Also, for causing “significant injury.”

9. NHL GMs to address emergency goalie rule following Florida incident

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya Getty Images

“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”

10. Julien talks up Bergeron as next Bruins captain

Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

patricebergerongetty Getty Images

“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”

11. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

12. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

13. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline