May 2, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
On Friday, longtime NHL goalie Mathieu Garon announced his retirement.
“For the past 13 years, I have been fortunate to earn my living playing hockey in the National Hockey League,” Garon said in a statement released by CAA, his representation (per ESPN). “I wanted to take this opportunity to thank my teammates, coaches and, most importantly, the fans. Every city I played in, the fans always welcomed my family and me with open arms. I will cherish the memories and friendships I made during my career. Finally, I want to say a special thank you to my family, who have been incredibly supportive of me throughout my career. Without them, I wouldn’t have been able to live my dream.”
Garon, 36, was taken by Montreal with the 44th overall pick at the ’96 draft and spent four seasons with the Habs before getting traded to L.A. With the Kings, Garon enjoyed his finest season, recording 31 wins in 2005-06 while posting a career-high four shutouts.
In 2009, Garon was dealt to Pittsburgh months before the start of the playoffs and won a Cup with the Penguins, serving as Marc-Andre Fleury‘s backup while making one postseason relief appearance.
Garon had a mini-renaissance with the Lightning in 2011-12, posting a 23-16-4 record, but struggled in his final campaign (the lockout-shortened ’13 season) and failed to latch on with a club this year, eventually making 18 appearances in the KHL for Avangard Omsk.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 23
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)