May 2, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Despite Thursday’s big 5-4 OT win in Boston, the Canadiens weren’t satisfied with their overall play — most notably, the contributions from prized trade deadline acquisition Thomas Vanek.
Michel Therrien says that Thomas Vanek needs to “step up” his game.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) May 2, 2014
#Habs Thomas Vanek when asked if his play is related to an injury: “No. It’s just a matter of not being good. It’s as simple as that.”
— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) May 2, 2014
Vanek was minus-1 in Game 1 and was temporarily dropped to the fourth line, finishing with 18:58 TOI. That last figure is noteworthy, because it came in a double-OT game; comparatively speaking, Vanek played 19:34 in a Game 3 victory in the opening round against Tampa Bay — a game that was decided in regulation.
Against Boston, all but three Canadiens forwards played more than Vanek did. Here’s more, from NHL.com:
Vanek is playing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2011, when he scored five goals in a seven-game loss to the Philadelphia Flyers with the Buffalo Sabres. Vanek’s line with [David] Desharnais and [Max] Pacioretty combined for 18 goals in 14 full regular-season games together, and Vanek’s history of torching the Bruins, with 30 goals in 55 regular-season games, made him a key ingredient to the Canadiens’ potential for success.
In Game 1, he and his line didn’t deliver.
“It’s frustrating,” Vanek said. “You want to contribute, especially this time of year, so I think it’s frustrating we’re not having the success we had earlier. At the same time, you just take a step back, relax, and be better [Saturday].”
Getting more out of Vanek will be key for Montreal in this series. One, he’s a noted Bruins killer — 62 points in 55 career games against the B’s — and two, this postseason may be all Montreal gets out of Vanek, so it has to be good. The pending UFA has previously expressed his desire to test free agency, and the Habs paid a fairly decent price for what could amount to a short-term rental: a second-round pick and prospect Sebastian Collberg, the 33rd overall pick at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)