May 2, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
You won’t see this very often.
The New York Rangers, just for good measure, scored twice in overtime to defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins by a final score of 3-2, taking Game 1 of that Eastern Conference second-round series on Friday. Of course, only one of those goals counted.
Benoit Pouliot buried the puck past goalie Marc-Andre Fleury on a scramble in front of the Pittsburgh net, and it appeared as though that was the winner. A few seconds before that, Derick Brassard beat Fleury on the blocker side with a shot that hit up just under the cross bar.
After the review, it was determined Brassard’s initial goal was good. The Rangers win.
“I thought it was in,” Brassard said afterward, as per The Star-Ledger. “The sound of the back post and the main post is different. I felt like it hit the inside of the goal. But it really doesn’t matter. We got the job done after.”
That they did, although the Penguins were able to add to a common theme in these playoffs, and that’s erasing another team’s multi-goal lead.
The Penguins, trailing 2-0 after the first period, fought their way back into the game with a pair of goals in the second period. They outshot the Rangers 27-12 over the final two regulation periods.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)