May 2, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
You won’t see this very often.
The New York Rangers, just for good measure, scored twice in overtime to defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins by a final score of 3-2, taking Game 1 of that Eastern Conference second-round series on Friday. Of course, only one of those goals counted.
Benoit Pouliot buried the puck past goalie Marc-Andre Fleury on a scramble in front of the Pittsburgh net, and it appeared as though that was the winner. A few seconds before that, Derick Brassard beat Fleury on the blocker side with a shot that hit up just under the cross bar.
After the review, it was determined Brassard’s initial goal was good. The Rangers win.
“I thought it was in,” Brassard said afterward, as per The Star-Ledger. “The sound of the back post and the main post is different. I felt like it hit the inside of the goal. But it really doesn’t matter. We got the job done after.”
That they did, although the Penguins were able to add to a common theme in these playoffs, and that’s erasing another team’s multi-goal lead.
The Penguins, trailing 2-0 after the first period, fought their way back into the game with a pair of goals in the second period. They outshot the Rangers 27-12 over the final two regulation periods.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)