May 2, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
You won’t see this very often.
The New York Rangers, just for good measure, scored twice in overtime to defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins by a final score of 3-2, taking Game 1 of that Eastern Conference second-round series on Friday. Of course, only one of those goals counted.
Benoit Pouliot buried the puck past goalie Marc-Andre Fleury on a scramble in front of the Pittsburgh net, and it appeared as though that was the winner. A few seconds before that, Derick Brassard beat Fleury on the blocker side with a shot that hit up just under the cross bar.
After the review, it was determined Brassard’s initial goal was good. The Rangers win.
“I thought it was in,” Brassard said afterward, as per The Star-Ledger. “The sound of the back post and the main post is different. I felt like it hit the inside of the goal. But it really doesn’t matter. We got the job done after.”
That they did, although the Penguins were able to add to a common theme in these playoffs, and that’s erasing another team’s multi-goal lead.
The Penguins, trailing 2-0 after the first period, fought their way back into the game with a pair of goals in the second period. They outshot the Rangers 27-12 over the final two regulation periods.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)