May 2, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
You won’t see this very often.
The New York Rangers, just for good measure, scored twice in overtime to defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins by a final score of 3-2, taking Game 1 of that Eastern Conference second-round series on Friday. Of course, only one of those goals counted.
Benoit Pouliot buried the puck past goalie Marc-Andre Fleury on a scramble in front of the Pittsburgh net, and it appeared as though that was the winner. A few seconds before that, Derick Brassard beat Fleury on the blocker side with a shot that hit up just under the cross bar.
After the review, it was determined Brassard’s initial goal was good. The Rangers win.
“I thought it was in,” Brassard said afterward, as per The Star-Ledger. “The sound of the back post and the main post is different. I felt like it hit the inside of the goal. But it really doesn’t matter. We got the job done after.”
That they did, although the Penguins were able to add to a common theme in these playoffs, and that’s erasing another team’s multi-goal lead.
The Penguins, trailing 2-0 after the first period, fought their way back into the game with a pair of goals in the second period. They outshot the Rangers 27-12 over the final two regulation periods.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)