May 2, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
From Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, who was on hand to hear a very upset general manager, Doug Wilson, talk about the direction the Sharks will take after blowing a 3-0 series lead to the Kings:
Though it was coach Todd McLellan’s head that many expected to roll after Game 7’s defeat, Wilson also acknowledged the tenuousness of his own job. After all, it was Wilson who put together the group that became just the fourth in NHL history to lose a series it once led 3-0. Of the numerous crushing disappointments that San Jose has experienced in the postseason, this one was the most devastating. Which says a lot.
According to CSN Bay Area, it’s believed McLellan has two years remaining on his contract.
Of course, the questions facing the Sharks this summer go beyond the coach and GM.
For instance, will Dan Boyle re-sign? The veteran defenseman is a pending unrestricted free agent who’s repeatedly said he wants to finish his career in San Jose.
And what about the goaltending situation? Antti Niemi is only signed through next season, and the 30-year-old struggled against the Kings, finishing with a .884 save percentage in six games. Meanwhile, Alex Stalock, the netminder who couldn’t turn the tide when he got the start in Game 6, is a pending UFA.
Maybe there’s a significant trade to be made. We certainly wouldn’t count out the possibility. Not after that collapse. And not after watching how angry Wilson appeared today (see below).
“Nobody is bigger than this organization,” said the GM.
Granted, there’s a huge risk in overreacting to what happened in a matter of a week. The Sharks don’t need to be blown up. They were an outstanding team in the regular season; it wasn’t a fluke they won the first three against a very good Kings side.
But as Wilson admitted, “When you’re up 3-0 in the series, you step on their throat and put them away.”
And for the 10th straight postseason, the Sharks fell short.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)