May 2, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have taken the first game of their second-round series with the Pittsburgh Penguins, despite coughing up a two-goal lead.
The Rangers, coming off a seven-game series win over the Philadelphia Flyers in Round One, opened the scoring, beating Marc-Andre Fleury on just the third shot of the hockey game, but needed overtime to defeat the Penguins by a final score of 3-2 on Friday.
Derick Brassard scored the winning goal at the 3:06 mark of the extra period. His shot beat Fleury on the stick side, however, because the puck hit up near the crossbar, play was allowed to continue. Benoit Pouliot buried the puck a few seconds later on a scramble in front of the Pittsburgh net, but, following a review, the goal was given to Brassard.
Here is an explanation from the NHL’s Situation Room Blog:
At 3:13 of overtime in the New York Rangers/Pittsburgh Penguins game, Benoit Pouliot’s shot appeared to end the game. However, video review determined that Derick Brassard’s shot at 3:06 of overtime hit the back bar of the net after it crossed the goal line. Therefore the official winning goal is credited to Brassard at 3:06. Good goal New York Rangers.
Make of this what you will, but that’s back-to-back games to begin the second round in the Eastern Conference, in which the visiting team has taken the first game of the semifinal series. The Montreal Canadiens stunned the Boston Bruins in overtime in their series-opener on Thursday.
The evening didn’t get off to a good start for Fleury, who was beaten twice on 13 first-period shots. New York’s second goal came just after a questionable offside call.
However, the Penguins managed to come back in the second period. Lee Stempniak got Pittsburgh on the board, before James Neal tied the game on a goal the Rangers protested – the thinking was that Pittsburgh forward Evgeni Malkin knocked the puck out of the air with a high stick.
Fleury finished the game with 24 saves, while Henrik Lundqvist, under siege at times through the final two periods, made 34 saves for the win.
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)