May 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Pittsburgh was without Brooks Orpik to finish the Columbus series, and it’ll be without him again to open against the Rangers.
Orpik won’t be in the Penguins lineup on Friday against New York, per CBC. The 33-year-old missed Games 5 and 6 against the Blue Jackets but had been a constant presence through the first four games of the series, playing at least 21 minutes a night while logging 28:02 in a Game 2 OT loss.
Without Orpik, Pittsburgh has been using Roberto Bortuzzo on defense and he fared well in the Columbus series, averaging around 13 minutes a night while finishing plus-1. Bortuzzo is paired with Rob Scuderi for tonight’s game.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)