May 2, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Pittsburgh was without Brooks Orpik to finish the Columbus series, and it’ll be without him again to open against the Rangers.
Orpik won’t be in the Penguins lineup on Friday against New York, per CBC. The 33-year-old missed Games 5 and 6 against the Blue Jackets but had been a constant presence through the first four games of the series, playing at least 21 minutes a night while logging 28:02 in a Game 2 OT loss.
Without Orpik, Pittsburgh has been using Roberto Bortuzzo on defense and he fared well in the Columbus series, averaging around 13 minutes a night while finishing plus-1. Bortuzzo is paired with Rob Scuderi for tonight’s game.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 9
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)