May 2, 2014, 12:54 PM EST
Per online oddsmaker Bovada, ex-Nashville head coach Barry Trotz and current San Jose bench boss are the favorites to land Vancouver’s coaching gig, which became available yesterday after the firing of John Tortorella.
Trotz — also favored to land the vacant Washington gig — and McLellan are both at 11/4, according to Bovada. The rest of the list is as follows:
John Stevens 15/4
Kevin Dineen 15/4
Marc Crawford 5/1
Brad Shaw 5/1
Guy Boucher 15/2
Stevens, currently an assistant with Los Angeles, was thought to be a leading candidate for the Vancouver job last summer, before it eventually went to Tortorella. Crawford is a former Canucks coach (1998-2006) who set all sorts of coaching records that were eventually eclipsed by Alain Vigneault.
Shaw, currently an assistant in St. Louis, had a brief stint as the head coach on Long Island but does have some ties to British Columbia — his son, Brady, spent four years playing Junior A in B.C. before transferring to the University of Vermont last season.
Dineen and Boucher have the most recent NHL head coaching experience, having been dismissed from Florida and Tampa Bay. Dineen is currently tied to Hockey Canada’s U-18 men’s team while Boucher is coaching in Switzerland.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 12
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 76
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2