May 2, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Per online oddsmaker Bovada, ex-Nashville head coach Barry Trotz and current San Jose bench boss are the favorites to land Vancouver’s coaching gig, which became available yesterday after the firing of John Tortorella.
Trotz — also favored to land the vacant Washington gig — and McLellan are both at 11/4, according to Bovada. The rest of the list is as follows:
John Stevens 15/4
Kevin Dineen 15/4
Marc Crawford 5/1
Brad Shaw 5/1
Guy Boucher 15/2
Stevens, currently an assistant with Los Angeles, was thought to be a leading candidate for the Vancouver job last summer, before it eventually went to Tortorella. Crawford is a former Canucks coach (1998-2006) who set all sorts of coaching records that were eventually eclipsed by Alain Vigneault.
Shaw, currently an assistant in St. Louis, had a brief stint as the head coach on Long Island but does have some ties to British Columbia — his son, Brady, spent four years playing Junior A in B.C. before transferring to the University of Vermont last season.
Dineen and Boucher have the most recent NHL head coaching experience, having been dismissed from Florida and Tampa Bay. Dineen is currently tied to Hockey Canada’s U-18 men’s team while Boucher is coaching in Switzerland.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 3
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 32
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6