May 2, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Per online oddsmaker Bovada, ex-Nashville head coach Barry Trotz and current San Jose bench boss are the favorites to land Vancouver’s coaching gig, which became available yesterday after the firing of John Tortorella.
Trotz — also favored to land the vacant Washington gig — and McLellan are both at 11/4, according to Bovada. The rest of the list is as follows:
John Stevens 15/4
Kevin Dineen 15/4
Marc Crawford 5/1
Brad Shaw 5/1
Guy Boucher 15/2
Stevens, currently an assistant with Los Angeles, was thought to be a leading candidate for the Vancouver job last summer, before it eventually went to Tortorella. Crawford is a former Canucks coach (1998-2006) who set all sorts of coaching records that were eventually eclipsed by Alain Vigneault.
Shaw, currently an assistant in St. Louis, had a brief stint as the head coach on Long Island but does have some ties to British Columbia — his son, Brady, spent four years playing Junior A in B.C. before transferring to the University of Vermont last season.
Dineen and Boucher have the most recent NHL head coaching experience, having been dismissed from Florida and Tampa Bay. Dineen is currently tied to Hockey Canada’s U-18 men’s team while Boucher is coaching in Switzerland.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)