May 2, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
Given the adversity Claude Julien’s faced during his time as Bruins head coach, you wouldn’t think Thursday’s double overtime loss would rattle him.
And you’d be right.
Julien preached composure following a 4-3 loss in Game 1, saying he had no problems with the two penalties called against the Bruins in OT — including the Matt Bartkowski hold that led to P.K. Subban‘s game winner — and that his team wasn’t going to lose its cool.
“This is just game number one here,” Julien said, per the Bruins’ Twitter account. “You don’t get frustrated after one game.”
The coach is speaking from experience. Boston lost its series opener against Detroit in Round 1 but rebounded with aplomb, winning four straight to close it out. During the 2011 playoffs, Boston lost three Game 1s — against Montreal, Tampa Bay and Vancouver — but rebounded to win the Stanley Cup.
As for the overtime penalties to Bartkowski and Daniel Paille, Julien took the levelheaded approach as well:
Claude Julien: “There were no issues in my mind” with OT penalty calls. Said they were both penalties.
— Mike Cole (@MikeColeNESN) May 2, 2014
Julien agrees with penalty calls against Bruins. “Definitely penalties.” #Habs
— DJ Bean (@DJ_Bean) May 2, 2014
Most would have a tough time arguing the Paille call, as he stuck his knee out on Brendan Gallagher and was full value for the two-minute minor (the play could’ve been a lot worse, injury-wise). The Bartkowski call was a little dicier, especially given when it was called (less than four minutes after Paille exited the box) and the amount of holding and obstruction going on.
In a telling statement, B’s goalieTuukka Rask — who wasn’t happy with his performance on the night — didn’t focus on the penalty call, but rather Boston’s inability to kill it. “We played a great game — got to kill those penalties,” he said. “I’ve got to keep the puck out of my net so that’s the only changes we need.”
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)