May 2, 2014, 12:32 AM EST
Given the adversity Claude Julien’s faced during his time as Bruins head coach, you wouldn’t think Thursday’s double overtime loss would rattle him.
And you’d be right.
Julien preached composure following a 4-3 loss in Game 1, saying he had no problems with the two penalties called against the Bruins in OT — including the Matt Bartkowski hold that led to P.K. Subban‘s game winner — and that his team wasn’t going to lose its cool.
“This is just game number one here,” Julien said, per the Bruins’ Twitter account. “You don’t get frustrated after one game.”
The coach is speaking from experience. Boston lost its series opener against Detroit in Round 1 but rebounded with aplomb, winning four straight to close it out. During the 2011 playoffs, Boston lost three Game 1s — against Montreal, Tampa Bay and Vancouver — but rebounded to win the Stanley Cup.
As for the overtime penalties to Bartkowski and Daniel Paille, Julien took the levelheaded approach as well:
Claude Julien: “There were no issues in my mind” with OT penalty calls. Said they were both penalties.
— Mike Cole (@MikeColeNESN) May 2, 2014
Julien agrees with penalty calls against Bruins. “Definitely penalties.” #Habs
— DJ Bean (@DJ_Bean) May 2, 2014
Most would have a tough time arguing the Paille call, as he stuck his knee out on Brendan Gallagher and was full value for the two-minute minor (the play could’ve been a lot worse, injury-wise). The Bartkowski call was a little dicier, especially given when it was called (less than four minutes after Paille exited the box) and the amount of holding and obstruction going on.
In a telling statement, B’s goalieTuukka Rask — who wasn’t happy with his performance on the night — didn’t focus on the penalty call, but rather Boston’s inability to kill it. “We played a great game — got to kill those penalties,” he said. “I’ve got to keep the puck out of my net so that’s the only changes we need.”
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)