Julien has ‘no issues’ with OT penalty calls, says B’s won’t get frustrated

May 2, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT

Given the adversity Claude Julien’s faced during his time as Bruins head coach, you wouldn’t think Thursday’s double overtime loss would rattle him.

And you’d be right.

Julien preached composure following a 4-3 loss in Game 1, saying he had no problems with the two penalties called against the Bruins in OT — including the Matt Bartkowski hold that led to P.K. Subban‘s game winner — and that his team wasn’t going to lose its cool.

“This is just game number one here,” Julien said, per the Bruins’ Twitter account. “You don’t get frustrated after one game.”

The coach is speaking from experience. Boston lost its series opener against Detroit in Round 1 but rebounded with aplomb, winning four straight to close it out. During the 2011 playoffs, Boston lost three Game 1s — against Montreal, Tampa Bay and Vancouver — but rebounded to win the Stanley Cup.

As for the overtime penalties to Bartkowski and Daniel Paille, Julien took the levelheaded approach as well:

Most would have a tough time arguing the Paille call, as he stuck his knee out on Brendan Gallagher and was full value for the two-minute minor (the play could’ve been a lot worse, injury-wise). The Bartkowski call was a little dicier, especially given when it was called (less than four minutes after Paille exited the box) and the amount of holding and obstruction going on.

source:

In a telling statement, B’s goalieTuukka Rask — who wasn’t happy with his performance on the night — didn’t focus on the penalty call, but rather Boston’s inability to kill it. “We played a great game — got to kill those penalties,” he said. “I’ve got to keep the puck out of my net so that’s the only changes we need.”

1. blomfeld - May 2, 2014 at 1:34 AM

ZIP IT FATSO ! … IT’S THE FRENCHIES WE’RE AFTER !

*** earlier tonight at a worker’s pub in the Reinickendorf district of Berlin ***

Blomfeld: you know, nothing would make me happier than avenging ’93 …

Stransky: I agree comrade, as that was a ‘painful’ defeat for us …

Meyer: yes, and if these ‘Canadiens’ get past Boston then ‘dinner’s served’ eh ? :)

Blomfeld: ha ha ha, of course friend ! … nonetheless, we ‘probably’ still have some work to do ?

Stransky: oh don’t worry Blom … the Ducks and Hawks are a complete joke, trust me …

Blomfeld: God’s will ?

Stransky & Meyer: God’s will man ! :)

Waitress: würde Sie Herr-Sorge für ein anderes Getränk?

Blomfeld: natürlich mein liebes….

Waitress: Die LA Kings sind am größten !

Meyer: you know the deal baby ! … victory is ours ! :)

• 950003cups - May 2, 2014 at 2:22 AM

What a fairweather POS fake hockey fan you are. Down 0-3 you’re nowhere to be found. All of the sudden after a miracle comeback, sure enough, here you are, with your dumb videos that make no sense. Typical Los Angeles fakes.

• joey4id - May 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Hahahaha! 950003cups, why don’t you tell us how you really feel? I can’t decide which comment between yours and blomfield’s is funnier.

• sabatimus - May 2, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Du bist Scheissekopf.

• stepanup - May 2, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Schadenfreude will also be aplomb, when the Kings lose.

2. kaptaanamerica - May 2, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Julien wasn’t whinging or making excuses unlike Todd Mclellan (sp?) who made excuses for the Sharks to whine on about the refs.

• c9castine - May 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM

like he said just game one. give him some time hell start complaining.

3. biffnasty - May 2, 2014 at 1:56 AM

PHT, please always use GIF format for “videos”. It’s been years, and your talented staff, still can not crack the brain buster that is adding videos that play on the Nbc sports talk app

4. matt14gg - May 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM

I’m a Bruins fan and those were both legit calls. Can’t whine, Bruins played pretty well, but Carey was great and Montreal was opportunistic against a sub-par Tuukka. If this goaltending holds up the Habs will win. Tuukka needs to be better and he knows it.

• sabatimus - May 2, 2014 at 6:22 AM

In fact, Bartkowski’s penalty was absolutely the right thing to do in that circumstance. His man beat him right in front of Rask. If you don’t him the game is probably over anyway.

• ironyisadeadscene - May 2, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Yeah, he had to take a chance and wrap him up due to Weise’s positioning.

Side note: Rask needs to learn to poke check more.

• c9castine - May 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM

personally id give him a hard shove because he wasnt walking out that clean and expect my goalie to poke him there. in fact the puck should have been knocked away by rask right at the side of the net as he was coming around.

5. zetaone - May 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM

as much as I hate many of the Bruins players (lucic, chara, marchand) I have so much respect for Claude Julien and Tuukka Rask. They call it like it is, own up to their mistakes, don’t boast when they win. Those two should be the faces of the bruins – not Chara and Lucic.

• titansbro - May 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Lucic is not the face of the franchise, it’s Chara & Bergeron. Obivously you can’t complain about Bergeron. But I honestly don’t understand anyone’s hatred of Chara. The dude is a great leader & plays straight up. Is it because he’s big & ugly?

6. hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM

There’s not much anyone can say about the penalties. Cooke just got 7 games for the same hit as Paille, and everyone (and most Boston fans) were calling for castration. They should be happy with his 2 PIMs.

Great game, though!

• ironyisadeadscene - May 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I didn’t see anyone attempting to undermine the call on Paille. He got the same 2 minute call that Vitale got last Pitt game, no?

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 8:53 AM

The main idea of the article is that Julien has “no issues” with the penalty calls. My point is, how could he. Not calling out any commenters specifically, it was more addressing the point of the article.

• c9castine - May 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM

no but i also dont see anybody supporting even a 1 or 2 game ban for a blatantly dirty play. i dont know but im sure Paille’s record is nowhere near as bad as cookes, but the disparity between a 2 min penalty and a 7 game ban is HUGE.

the vitale play is so different its ridiculous. he hurt himself more than anything clearly not something he was trying to do. neither player was carrying the puck. if he wanted to hit the guy for the sake of hitting him, he wouldnt have done it like that.

• joey4id - May 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Cooke rec’d a seven game suspension because of the severity of Barrie’s injury and Cooke’s past. I suspect that there would have been a suspension handed out to Paille if Gallagher would have been seriously injured.

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM

And I’m certainly not saying Paille should be suspended for 7 games. Just that it’s hard to take issue with it being a penalty when it’s the same hit as the Cooke hit. And no one really was taking issue with the hit, on this article, it’s more the point of the article itself.

• joey4id - May 2, 2014 at 9:08 AM

You’re correct. It was the right call. I played a lot of hockey at a competitive level and was one to play the man in the open ice, but never did I stick out a knee. That’s ugly. Matter of fact, I got kneed in the open ice and was out for weeks. Avs were not the same team after Barrie was injured and it sucks that Cooke will get to play in the playoffs.

• c9castine - May 2, 2014 at 11:18 AM

as i said up there, there is a HUGE gap between a 2 min penalty and a 7game suspension.

that cant all be accounted for because gallagher wasnt injured.

• joey4id - May 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Cooke also got a 2 minute minor.

The CBA clearly states that severity of injury is factored in when a player has been injured. Look back and you’ll see that the severity of the suspension is aligned with the severity of the injury.

• 7mantel - May 2, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I did not see the play you are talking about but it seems the league is taking a whole new approach in the playoffs ! Vitale knee to knee and Matt Reads hit on Carcillo both would of gotten reviews by the league and fines or suspensions !

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Not sure what you are saying – but I’m certainly not for suspending Paille…only saying that the fact that anyone has the right to be upset about the call being made is silly, which is the premise of the article.

• 7mantel - May 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I’m not calling you out, sorry if it appears that way . Maybe I missed it but the league suspended or fined players for hits like Vitales and Reads. Like I stated before I did not see the Paille hit so I have no comment on it .

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Ah – yeah, it wasn’t bad, but defintely knee on knee. Gallagher limped off, but looked ok. I just thought it was strange that the article was about how Julien was ‘ok’ with the penalty. How could he not be.

• c9castine - May 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM

you cant possibly think vitale hurt himself on purpose do you?

not even the columbus players were upset about it.

i didnt see the matt read thing.

and despite my disagreement about the vitale play, this is nothing new…irregularity of calls is standard op for this league these days.

• 7mantel - May 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Hurt himself no ,he wanted to check Coumo.Was it on purpose only he knows that ,still deserved something.The league called players on it all year. It always amazes me the player doing the kneeing rarely gets hurt.Matt Read was a hit to head

• c9castine - May 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM

ever watch joe vitale play? hes a pretty straight up fast hitter

second question, did you watch how slow and unattentive cuomo was at the time? trust me if vitale wanted to hit him he wouldnt have done a figure skating move into his knee.

it has to be called a penalty, but dont tell me he was even trying to check the guy let alone do that.

• pepper2011 - May 2, 2014 at 10:13 AM

you are an idiot. you really are.

It wasn’t a penalty on Bartkowski, but it looked like one. He is not holding. He is trying to stick check and he is pushing down with the back hand. There is no hold, he did not haul him down. I am no problem with the call – it looks like a penalty at full speed and the refs don’t have Gifs or Videos to differ to.

Paille: Much, Much different hit than the Cooke hit. The Vitale hit was closer to the Cooke hit. Gallagher side steps at the last minute and Paille should have realized and not been careless; Cooke and Vitale both extended their legs. Paille did not, he just didn’t account for Gallagher side stepping him.

• pepper2011 - May 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM

and the Weise dive? the Eller attempt at a dive and what of Desharnais throwing his hands up in the air for a call; 4 seconds after Bergeron had dropped his stick on a “hook” because he knew what he was doing, or PK trying to act like he was shot when he and Marchand exchanged pushes to the face.

Only penalty I had a real problem with was the first Weise one. I would have like to have seen an embellishment call on one of the aforementioned attempts to draw a penalty, but I’ll take no calls at this point.

They lost because they didn’t bury the puck. They will. If MTL gives up 50 sog and 100 or shot attempts. I don’t think the B’s will miss their opportunities again.

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Right, pepper…not one bit of homerism in you, bud…and scientific fact. No penalty on Bartkowski, Paille’s was a penalty but everyone else is dirty and Paille’s dirty play was clean…makes sense. and I’M the idiot. mmk.

• c9castine - May 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM

pepper, A. starting out a post calling somebody an idiot will get you nowhere.

B. he practically has him in the Heimlich like he is trying to get a chunk of potato dislodged from his throat. its so clearly a hold, all wrapped up in a little GIF for you and everything.

• pepper2011 - May 2, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I am not really trying to get anywhere. If you don’t want to get called an idiot, don’t post stupid things – not you, but people in general.

I don’t like the call in 2OT when stuff had been happening and let go in a similar vein all game. 412 is an idiot. He hates the B’s cause they smoked the Pens last year and he TROLLS every B’s post. Every single one.

Like I said, I get the call, I just don’t like it. Find me anyone besides a Pens fan who thinks the Paille hit was malicious. I don’t even think Habs fans have that belief.

I have no issue calling the B’s out when they do something that warrants it. Paille’s hit was not the same thing as Matt Cooke’s hit; which I also argued was not malicious, but reactionary from a player who has pretty consistently been reckless. I don’t think Cooke wanted to hurt Barrie; I just think he is reckless – which is dangerous. Paille was much more leg on leg than knee to knee – semantics, I know.

And No, I do not think Vitale did it on purpose, but it was closer than the Paille play.

412 takes one play (Paille) and tries to say the Bruins got lucky. and should have no real gripes with the officials. No, they didn’t you little troll. They were unlucky. The first PP goal was a dive and there were about 4 more than didn’t get called. All in all MUCH better than most B’s fan were expecting. But as someone else pointed out:

At what point do you look at the fact that Montreal gets ALOT of calls in OT that other teams don’t get. Not only the Bruins. This is not a Bruins only thing. If you wanted to; you could call a penalty just about any time you wanted to, slashing, hooking, holding, roughing, and charging are all very discretionary.

Series against Tampa
        game 1 – MTL get PP with 2 minutes remaining in tie game 3 – MTL gets only 3rd Period PP
        game 4 – MTL gets only 3rd Period PP with 2m left
        game 2 – The only not close game TB get PP with 2+ minutes left in 4-1 game.

• c9castine - May 3, 2014 at 10:13 PM

i did comment during the tampa montreal series i thought it was real weird the calls they were getting especially in montreal.

but that was a penalty, no matter how you dice it. intended, not intended – it is a penalty.

• dropthepuckeh - May 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM

@hockey412 nobody called for castration and I believe the situations are completely different. What’s more, as the article stated, nobody had an issue with the call(s). Why you get off on commenting on every Boston article is beyond me but it smells of a miserable life. These hits happen and should be called, as was the hit Vitale delivered, but not everyone needs to be suspended nor is it a matter of some conspiracy to help the Bruins. Just relax dude, be happy your team is still alive and maybe think about posting 25% as much as you do on the Bruins. We’d all appreciate it.

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Dropthepuck – who cares, really, what you think of me? I don’t. My comment was on the article. Nothing wrong with that, take your panties out of your crack and unwad them. The article said Julien’s got no problem with it, my comment was ‘how could he’. What’s the big deal? Is that derogatory?

Maybe you and pepper and drew need to petition PHT to make it so people need passwords to comment on Bruins articles…because you surely can NOT take anyone else commenting on it. One of you yesterday even wanted someone booted because they were cheering for the habs! wow.

And by the way, Vitale was injured trying to get out of the way of that hit.

• c9castine - May 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM

anything you would appreciate is obviously not going to be done.

quit your crying. your team is losing on account of PK subban i realize thats tough right now but by the next puck drop im sure youll be ok.

your miserable. you have a long history of commenting on all articles, as everybody should.

this stupid nonsense where people are only supposed to comment on articles about their team is childish.

id appreciate if youd stop acting like a little girl and handle whats thrown at you like a man.

• thesportsjudge - May 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM

@hockey. Well, if you TRULY didn’t care what drop said, you wouldn’t respond. Seriously, pull your panties out of your gash.

• pepper2011 - May 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM

@c9 – the Bruins are losing because of Carey Price and missed opportunities.

The have no chance if they continue to give up the chances they did.

Eriksson post.
        Soderberg across the goal line
        Krug – Held on too long/panic
        Bergeron – missed open net
        Lucic fanned on perfect set up.
        Price with the leg on the marchand shot he buries 9/10 times.
        Krejci two breakaways.
        I think Hamilton hit a post too, I actually think they hit 4, but I can’t reference them and am too lazy to look.

I know it can both ways, but the numbers tell you the Bruins carried the play for much of the game and didn’t capitalize. The Habs did. If the Bruins outshoot the Habs by 20+ shots a game and lose this series I would be very surprised. They attempted over 100 shots.

Don’t get me wrong PK had a monster game, but it was Price, The Bruins themselves and then PK.

• pepper2011 - May 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM

@ c9 – pretty sure dropthepuck has no issues with people commenting on articles (very loose interpretation or article) that do not pertain to their team of choice. He has an issue with you and 412 being Trolls, Like big time trolls.

You tell me not call someone an idiot, but you follow with :”id appreciate if youd stop acting like a little girl and handle whats thrown at you like a man”.

I don’t get it. you are a Troll and so is 412. In fact there are a plethora of people on here who have no vested interest in either team; you two are the only jackwagons that TROLL every article. That’s all.

7. dboldave - May 2, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I’m not going to blame the refs for this loss. The Bruins had many chances to put this game away and missed. I feel like there were plenty of scoring chances and I don’t think the B’s were blown away by Montreal’s speed. I feel good about this team though and there is lots of hockey left.

• joey4id - May 2, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Very well said. However, I don’t think Montreal was running on all cylinders last night. Was it because of the long layoff? idk, but we haven’t seen either team play their best hockey. I expect a furious pace next game by the Bruins, and that from the drop of the puck. This is going to be a grueling body bruising series. The team moving on to the ECF will be so battered.

• dboldave - May 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM

True, I have no idea if Pacioretty even played last night. Vanek is clearly hurt because he was nothing like the player I know him to be against the Bruins.

And I know that my friends would crucify me if they heard me say this but Subban is a gamer. Yes he can be a weasel who turtles but he raises his game when it matters.

• joey4id - May 2, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Absolute gamer regardless of all his issues, and so is Price. Can he steal the series? idk, but he’s going to give the Bruins a tough if the Habs can tighten up the d. I mean they gave up 36 shots vs 24 in 3 periods, and 14 in the first OT vs 6.

8. nhstateline - May 2, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Didn’t like the Bartkowski call when I saw in the building but it’s better on this gif. They never showed a replay of it in the building either and they should have. It’s not the best or the worst call in the world and a lot of times that’s called a penalty so it’s hard to complain about it. Instead, they left people to their own devices and unfortunately idiots with expensive seats (the stuff all came out of the lower bowl meaning those are sponsor tickets or a few hundred dollar a pop tickets) started throwing stuff. That’s never justified and I was sorry to see some of the Habs players get hit with it (nobody hit the refs or the linesmen that I saw). Other than their jobs, what did they do to deserve that ? Nothing. Like most Bruins fans I was sorry to see that.

The call on Paille was correct. I didn’t get what people were unhappy about with that. It’s a dangerous play. The penalty call people in Boston could complain about is the first one. Total flop. In any case, the Habs cashed in their opportunities, something the Bruins didn’t do but if the Bruins play like this for the rest of the series, I think they’ll be ok.

• titansbro - May 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM

i have not heard one person complain about the paille penalty. i’m a bruins fan, work with all bruins fans, live around bruins fans. yet i have not heard anyone complain about that penalty. i’ve only heard a couple complain about the bart penalty.

most of us are complaining about our team’s inability to drive home open netters. should’ve never been to OT in the first place. score could’ve been 7-3 if they hit the easy ones & everyone wouldn’t be all over carey price’s jock strap right now.

• pepper2011 - May 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Yeah. Agree. Paille Tripped him, plain and simple. The OT PP’s were marginal, but understandable.

412 and C9 are Trolling. There really is no issues. 412 the Bruins got lucky cause Cooke got 7 games for the “same hit”, but then he says it’s not the same, so I don’t really know.

c9 is just there to hold it for him and put his fly back up.

B’s dominated, but Price was really good and they had bad puck luck.

9. LampyB - May 2, 2014 at 9:02 AM

No you are incorrect, it was not the same as the cooke hit. Cooke displayed intent and has a past history to back it up. The bart hit last night was completely accidental and the 2 min penalty was accurate.

Dont even try to compare it to cookes hit, doing so just makes you loom like you dont know much about hockey.

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Oh I loom like I don’t know much about hockey? Looms like I’ve hit a hot button.

It was the same knee on knee hit – looked very similar to me. Intent and past history played into the suspension, but the penalty is the same. I’m drawing the comparison only because there were so many Boston fans in particular that said that hit was SOOOOOO dirty. This article makes it sound like Julien has the right to be tweeked about it or something. We agree, though, the 2 min penalty was accurate.

• dboldave - May 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I like how you say it was primarily Bruins fans that were calling Cooke’s hit dirty. Love the objectivity you show!

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Right – because everyone on this site is so objective.

I said because there were so many Boston fans in particular commenting on the hit. That’s not quite the same as “primarily Boston fans”. But if you go back and look at the article (it’s still available), you’ll see what I mean. I’m not even sure why you are arguing about this. I’m only saying it’s a penalty, it should have been called a penalty, it was, and Julien agrees and has no beef. There are a lot of Boston fans on the article previous to this one (two back) that take exception to penalties in OT it seems, but there’s just no way to say this shouldn’t have been called.

• dboldave - May 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Fans of any team will get upset when there is a penalty called in OT of a playoff game. Don’t make it sound like if this were a call against any other team, that fanbase would be alright with it. Again, it was a penalty and it’s the right call but don’t try to make it sound like it’s just a Boston thing.

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 11:08 AM

This article is about Boston. I can see getting upset when your team commits a penalty in OT, but I don’t see getting upset when that penalty is called a penalty.

• jdlinder11 - May 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I don’t see why people get all worked up about penalty calls in OT. If it’s a penalty, its’ a penalty and it needs to be called. If the team is upset about it, stop committing penalty’s.

• titansbro - May 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

m is next to k dipsh**

internet typo police. gotta respect their misery

• hockey412 - May 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM

It was sarcasm, bud. Sarcasm happens. When someone says something like “you loom like an idiot”, it’s funny and worth a poke, in my opinion.

10. terrier92 - May 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Both calls correct . Bruins just need to bury their opportunities . Get them in game 2

• titansbro - May 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

That’s the long & short of it. Should’ve never went to OT. They could’ve won this game 7-3 had they nailed the easy ones.

11. eagles512 - May 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Good for him. And he’s right.

12. thegronk87 - May 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Montreal hasn’t won anything since their fluke cup win in 1993.

13. beyor35 - May 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Every ref in the league would have made that call against Bart in OT… that said after watching the gif a few times you can see he was just pushing him and had both hands on his stick… the refs don’t have that luxury so it’s hard to get mad at them and the Bs should have scored on a few of the many open net chances they had earlier in the game…

14. bigdaddy44 - May 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Even as a Bruins fan, I believe the refs made the proper calls on those two penalties. There were 3 or 4 other plays in the OT that would have been called for penalties in a regular season game or if they happened in the first or second period. The refs correctly let these calls go as they were not in the midst of a scoring chance or even controlling the puck. No controversies there.
    What I would like to see is something done about all these dives/embellishments in the league. It is an extremely difficult call to make, and would be even tougher to make the refs emphasize it. What I would like to see is post game review and an increasing fine scale by the league for obvious offenses. Certain players being publicly branded and fined by the league should at least curtail, even if not completely prevent these cowardly acts. Marchand and Subban would both have much lighter wallets if the league pushed this.

• tved12 - May 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I would also like the league to stop giving a penalty to the person who didn’t do anything when somebody gets an embellishment penalty! How stupid is that rule, you’re getting a penalty for nothing…

Great idea though, I like the idea of their being recourse for players if the refs miss it.

15. dropthepuckeh - May 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I’m sitting on a flight so I regret I was not able to partake in what looks like a fascinating game of name calling. Little girl? So clever too! Panties in a bunch? You got me there. @hockey it appears you have a ton of free time to bicker back and forth about semantics, what was “really” meant, and all things hockey. I don’t. It’s exhausting just seeing how many times you responded this day alone. Good luck to your Penguins tonight, I hope the bruins don’t ruin an otherwise glorious time of the year for you. C@st – 3rd man in but I forgive you, misery loves company.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches