May 2, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
From CSN Philly’s John Clark:
No surprise, really. The Flyers may have lost in the first round of the playoffs, but it was largely assumed Holmgren’s job was saved (if it was ever truly in jeopardy) when Philadelphia fought back from an awful start to make the playoffs.
It does, however, bring up the future of assistant general manager Ron Hextall, who’s reportedly “in the mix” for the GM opening in Vancouver, and could certainly be a candidate to replace George McPhee in Washington.
It was thought last year when Hextall came to Philly from the Kings that he might one day replace Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
It might end up that Holmgren becomes team president in Philadelphia (a position that doesn’t currently exist), and Hextall steps into the GM role.
In fact, something along those lines appears to be Snider’s plan:
As for the players?
Veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen is the club’s most important pending unrestricted free agent. In March, the 39-year-old said he’d “figure out during the summer” if he wants to keep playing.
Oh, and there was this:
CSN Philly has more on what was said today.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)