May 2, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
From CSN Philly’s John Clark:
No surprise, really. The Flyers may have lost in the first round of the playoffs, but it was largely assumed Holmgren’s job was saved (if it was ever truly in jeopardy) when Philadelphia fought back from an awful start to make the playoffs.
It does, however, bring up the future of assistant general manager Ron Hextall, who’s reportedly “in the mix” for the GM opening in Vancouver, and could certainly be a candidate to replace George McPhee in Washington.
It was thought last year when Hextall came to Philly from the Kings that he might one day replace Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
It might end up that Holmgren becomes team president in Philadelphia (a position that doesn’t currently exist), and Hextall steps into the GM role.
In fact, something along those lines appears to be Snider’s plan:
As for the players?
Veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen is the club’s most important pending unrestricted free agent. In March, the 39-year-old said he’d “figure out during the summer” if he wants to keep playing.
Oh, and there was this:
CSN Philly has more on what was said today.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 0
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 45
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39