May 2, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
From CSN Philly’s John Clark:
No surprise, really. The Flyers may have lost in the first round of the playoffs, but it was largely assumed Holmgren’s job was saved (if it was ever truly in jeopardy) when Philadelphia fought back from an awful start to make the playoffs.
It does, however, bring up the future of assistant general manager Ron Hextall, who’s reportedly “in the mix” for the GM opening in Vancouver, and could certainly be a candidate to replace George McPhee in Washington.
It was thought last year when Hextall came to Philly from the Kings that he might one day replace Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
It might end up that Holmgren becomes team president in Philadelphia (a position that doesn’t currently exist), and Hextall steps into the GM role.
In fact, something along those lines appears to be Snider’s plan:
As for the players?
Veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen is the club’s most important pending unrestricted free agent. In March, the 39-year-old said he’d “figure out during the summer” if he wants to keep playing.
Oh, and there was this:
CSN Philly has more on what was said today.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)