May 2, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
From CSN Philly’s John Clark:
No surprise, really. The Flyers may have lost in the first round of the playoffs, but it was largely assumed Holmgren’s job was saved (if it was ever truly in jeopardy) when Philadelphia fought back from an awful start to make the playoffs.
It does, however, bring up the future of assistant general manager Ron Hextall, who’s reportedly “in the mix” for the GM opening in Vancouver, and could certainly be a candidate to replace George McPhee in Washington.
It was thought last year when Hextall came to Philly from the Kings that he might one day replace Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
It might end up that Holmgren becomes team president in Philadelphia (a position that doesn’t currently exist), and Hextall steps into the GM role.
In fact, something along those lines appears to be Snider’s plan:
As for the players?
Veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen is the club’s most important pending unrestricted free agent. In March, the 39-year-old said he’d “figure out during the summer” if he wants to keep playing.
Oh, and there was this:
CSN Philly has more on what was said today.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 13
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 7
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)