May 2, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
From CSN Philly’s John Clark:
No surprise, really. The Flyers may have lost in the first round of the playoffs, but it was largely assumed Holmgren’s job was saved (if it was ever truly in jeopardy) when Philadelphia fought back from an awful start to make the playoffs.
It does, however, bring up the future of assistant general manager Ron Hextall, who’s reportedly “in the mix” for the GM opening in Vancouver, and could certainly be a candidate to replace George McPhee in Washington.
It was thought last year when Hextall came to Philly from the Kings that he might one day replace Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
It might end up that Holmgren becomes team president in Philadelphia (a position that doesn’t currently exist), and Hextall steps into the GM role.
In fact, something along those lines appears to be Snider’s plan:
As for the players?
Veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen is the club’s most important pending unrestricted free agent. In March, the 39-year-old said he’d “figure out during the summer” if he wants to keep playing.
Oh, and there was this:
CSN Philly has more on what was said today.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 44
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)