May 2, 2014, 1:31 PM EST
Boston Bruins president Cam Neely issued the following statement today:
“The racist, classless views expressed by an ignorant group of individuals following Thursday’s game via digital media are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”
It’s unfortunate the Bruins felt obligated to publicly remark on what a bunch of idiots were tweeting about PK Subban last night. Perhaps the team was inundated with media requests for comment and felt it should distance themselves. (Again.)
The reality is this: there are many idiots in this world of ours. Have been for a while. But now there is also Twitter, which gives those idiots a digital platform and connects them to the rest of us.
It sucks for guys like Subban, Wayne Simmonds, and Joel Ward, because they didn’t do anything to deserve the abuse. And if teams want to keep commenting every time something like this happens, we’ll keep posting what they say. Because maybe a good shaming of the latest “ignorant group of individuals” will make others think twice about tweeting idiotic stuff.
But please, let’s not waste too much time on what idiots are tweeting during a hockey game.
After all, they are idiots.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11