May 2, 2014, 1:31 PM EST
Boston Bruins president Cam Neely issued the following statement today:
“The racist, classless views expressed by an ignorant group of individuals following Thursday’s game via digital media are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”
It’s unfortunate the Bruins felt obligated to publicly remark on what a bunch of idiots were tweeting about PK Subban last night. Perhaps the team was inundated with media requests for comment and felt it should distance themselves. (Again.)
The reality is this: there are many idiots in this world of ours. Have been for a while. But now there is also Twitter, which gives those idiots a digital platform and connects them to the rest of us.
It sucks for guys like Subban, Wayne Simmonds, and Joel Ward, because they didn’t do anything to deserve the abuse. And if teams want to keep commenting every time something like this happens, we’ll keep posting what they say. Because maybe a good shaming of the latest “ignorant group of individuals” will make others think twice about tweeting idiotic stuff.
But please, let’s not waste too much time on what idiots are tweeting during a hockey game.
After all, they are idiots.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)