May 2, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Boston Bruins president Cam Neely issued the following statement today:
“The racist, classless views expressed by an ignorant group of individuals following Thursday’s game via digital media are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”
It’s unfortunate the Bruins felt obligated to publicly remark on what a bunch of idiots were tweeting about PK Subban last night. Perhaps the team was inundated with media requests for comment and felt it should distance themselves. (Again.)
The reality is this: there are many idiots in this world of ours. Have been for a while. But now there is also Twitter, which gives those idiots a digital platform and connects them to the rest of us.
It sucks for guys like Subban, Wayne Simmonds, and Joel Ward, because they didn’t do anything to deserve the abuse. And if teams want to keep commenting every time something like this happens, we’ll keep posting what they say. Because maybe a good shaming of the latest “ignorant group of individuals” will make others think twice about tweeting idiotic stuff.
But please, let’s not waste too much time on what idiots are tweeting during a hockey game.
After all, they are idiots.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39