May 2, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Boston Bruins president Cam Neely issued the following statement today:
“The racist, classless views expressed by an ignorant group of individuals following Thursday’s game via digital media are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”
It’s unfortunate the Bruins felt obligated to publicly remark on what a bunch of idiots were tweeting about PK Subban last night. Perhaps the team was inundated with media requests for comment and felt it should distance themselves. (Again.)
The reality is this: there are many idiots in this world of ours. Have been for a while. But now there is also Twitter, which gives those idiots a digital platform and connects them to the rest of us.
It sucks for guys like Subban, Wayne Simmonds, and Joel Ward, because they didn’t do anything to deserve the abuse. And if teams want to keep commenting every time something like this happens, we’ll keep posting what they say. Because maybe a good shaming of the latest “ignorant group of individuals” will make others think twice about tweeting idiotic stuff.
But please, let’s not waste too much time on what idiots are tweeting during a hockey game.
After all, they are idiots.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 4
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 11
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 12
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4