May 2, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Boston Bruins president Cam Neely issued the following statement today:
“The racist, classless views expressed by an ignorant group of individuals following Thursday’s game via digital media are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”
It’s unfortunate the Bruins felt obligated to publicly remark on what a bunch of idiots were tweeting about PK Subban last night. Perhaps the team was inundated with media requests for comment and felt it should distance themselves. (Again.)
The reality is this: there are many idiots in this world of ours. Have been for a while. But now there is also Twitter, which gives those idiots a digital platform and connects them to the rest of us.
It sucks for guys like Subban, Wayne Simmonds, and Joel Ward, because they didn’t do anything to deserve the abuse. And if teams want to keep commenting every time something like this happens, we’ll keep posting what they say. Because maybe a good shaming of the latest “ignorant group of individuals” will make others think twice about tweeting idiotic stuff.
But please, let’s not waste too much time on what idiots are tweeting during a hockey game.
After all, they are idiots.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)