May 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
(Fast forward to around the 5:10 mark for the discussion about his future.)
For those wondering why this is relevant, there’s been all sort of speculation the past few days about Babcock’s future in Detroit, much of it stemming from comments he made Tuesday.
From the Associated Press:
Mike Babcock insisted being a lame-duck coach next season for the Detroit Red Wings would not be a problem for him.
Babcock has one year left on his contract, and told reporters on Tuesday that getting a new deal this offseason is not a priority.
“When you’re at the stage of my career that I am, I’m real comfortable with whatever they want,” he said. “I want them to be happy. If they’re not happy, then I’m not happy.
“I can go year to year.”
But worried Wings fans, take heart — Babcock today called his situation in Detroit “pretty hard to beat,” with a “great owner,” an “outstanding general manager,” “unbelievable depth of prospects” in Grand Rapids, and “real good relationships” with his veteran stars.
Plus, he said his wife likes it where they are.
Bottom line: Babcock knows how good he’s got it, and he’s not going to leave the Wings without a lot of thought.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)