May 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
(Fast forward to around the 5:10 mark for the discussion about his future.)
For those wondering why this is relevant, there’s been all sort of speculation the past few days about Babcock’s future in Detroit, much of it stemming from comments he made Tuesday.
From the Associated Press:
Mike Babcock insisted being a lame-duck coach next season for the Detroit Red Wings would not be a problem for him.
Babcock has one year left on his contract, and told reporters on Tuesday that getting a new deal this offseason is not a priority.
“When you’re at the stage of my career that I am, I’m real comfortable with whatever they want,” he said. “I want them to be happy. If they’re not happy, then I’m not happy.
“I can go year to year.”
But worried Wings fans, take heart — Babcock today called his situation in Detroit “pretty hard to beat,” with a “great owner,” an “outstanding general manager,” “unbelievable depth of prospects” in Grand Rapids, and “real good relationships” with his veteran stars.
Plus, he said his wife likes it where they are.
Bottom line: Babcock knows how good he’s got it, and he’s not going to leave the Wings without a lot of thought.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)