May 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
(Fast forward to around the 5:10 mark for the discussion about his future.)
For those wondering why this is relevant, there’s been all sort of speculation the past few days about Babcock’s future in Detroit, much of it stemming from comments he made Tuesday.
From the Associated Press:
Mike Babcock insisted being a lame-duck coach next season for the Detroit Red Wings would not be a problem for him.
Babcock has one year left on his contract, and told reporters on Tuesday that getting a new deal this offseason is not a priority.
“When you’re at the stage of my career that I am, I’m real comfortable with whatever they want,” he said. “I want them to be happy. If they’re not happy, then I’m not happy.
“I can go year to year.”
But worried Wings fans, take heart — Babcock today called his situation in Detroit “pretty hard to beat,” with a “great owner,” an “outstanding general manager,” “unbelievable depth of prospects” in Grand Rapids, and “real good relationships” with his veteran stars.
Plus, he said his wife likes it where they are.
Bottom line: Babcock knows how good he’s got it, and he’s not going to leave the Wings without a lot of thought.
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (67)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)