Babcock says coaching Detroit is ‘pretty hard to beat’

May 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EST

Via Kukla’s Korner, here’s Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock today on Sportsnet590 The FAN radio:

(Fast forward to around the 5:10 mark for the discussion about his future.)

For those wondering why this is relevant, there’s been all sort of speculation the past few days about Babcock’s future in Detroit, much of it stemming from comments he made Tuesday.

From the Associated Press:

Mike Babcock insisted being a lame-duck coach next season for the Detroit Red Wings would not be a problem for him.

Babcock has one year left on his contract, and told reporters on Tuesday that getting a new deal this offseason is not a priority.

“When you’re at the stage of my career that I am, I’m real comfortable with whatever they want,” he said. “I want them to be happy. If they’re not happy, then I’m not happy.

“I can go year to year.”

But worried Wings fans, take heart — Babcock today called his situation in Detroit “pretty hard to beat,” with a “great owner,” an “outstanding general manager,” “unbelievable depth of prospects” in Grand Rapids, and “real good relationships” with his veteran stars.

Plus, he said his wife likes it where they are.

Bottom line: Babcock knows how good he’s got it, and he’s not going to leave the Wings without a lot of thought.

1. thailer35 - May 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I really enjoy how that picture looks like it could have been taken 50 years ago, minus the player equipment. But Babcock doesn’t just act like a timeless coach, he looks like one too.

2. lowenni - May 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Love Babcock. Absolute epitome of class and a damn good coach as well. One of the best of all time in my opinion. Few understand the game like he does and he showed with Team Canada what he can do when he has a top-flight roster, which Detroit did not have this season. Great guy and I definitely don’t see him being fired anytime soon.

3. snipedanglecelly13 - May 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Babs is arguably the best coach in the nhl right now. I think the minnows would actually win the Stanley cup if Babcock was the there lol

4. sixchr - May 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM

If I had to replace Claude Julien with any other coach in the NHL on the Bruins I’d take Babcock without a second thought. I just love everything about him. Watching him on NHL 24/7 this year and paying close attention to him in the first round of the playoffs I’ve really come to like him. He’s a damn good coach and super likable.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 2, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Watching him on 24/7 was a treat. Great coach.

5. stcrowe - May 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I am not a Red Wings partisan, but I recognize class when I see it. The Ilitch family has set the gold standard for how an NHL organization treats its people. I would be stunned if Babcock voluntarily went elsewhere.

6. smarshall3789 - May 3, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Bottom line Illitch and Holland won’t let him leave! They like it here cause they burbs are a very nice and safe areas! Plus this is a hockey area who wouldn’t want to be here all we do is go to the playoffs!!

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches