May 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Through 40 minutes of Game 1, the biggest story of the Montreal-Boston series has been Carey Price.
The Habs netminder has been nothing short of brilliant on Thursday, stopping his first 22 shots faced as Montreal went into the second intermission with a 2-0 lead on the Bruins, thanks to goals from P.K. Subban and Rene Bourque.
The story though, as mentioned, has been Price. He showed no signs of rust after an eight-day layoff between tonight’s game and Game 4 of the Tampa Bay series, looking razor sharp as Boston fired 13 shots on goal in the opening frame — which included this glorious chance from Torey Krug:
In the second period, Price was at his very best while Montreal killed off a Josh Gorges penalty:
That stop on Iginla — wow.
It’s worth noting that Price only faced the B’s once this season, as Montreal’s schedule and goalie rotation saw Peter Budaj appear in the final three games of the year against Boston. Price’s lone game against the Bruins was a success, though, as he stopped 32 of 33 shots for a 2-1 win.
Update: Well, Price is sure having himself a night. Here are his highlights from the first overtime session, in which he stopped all 14 shots. He had 47 saves going into the second OT…
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)