May 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Through 40 minutes of Game 1, the biggest story of the Montreal-Boston series has been Carey Price.
The Habs netminder has been nothing short of brilliant on Thursday, stopping his first 22 shots faced as Montreal went into the second intermission with a 2-0 lead on the Bruins, thanks to goals from P.K. Subban and Rene Bourque.
The story though, as mentioned, has been Price. He showed no signs of rust after an eight-day layoff between tonight’s game and Game 4 of the Tampa Bay series, looking razor sharp as Boston fired 13 shots on goal in the opening frame — which included this glorious chance from Torey Krug:
In the second period, Price was at his very best while Montreal killed off a Josh Gorges penalty:
That stop on Iginla — wow.
It’s worth noting that Price only faced the B’s once this season, as Montreal’s schedule and goalie rotation saw Peter Budaj appear in the final three games of the year against Boston. Price’s lone game against the Bruins was a success, though, as he stopped 32 of 33 shots for a 2-1 win.
Update: Well, Price is sure having himself a night. Here are his highlights from the first overtime session, in which he stopped all 14 shots. He had 47 saves going into the second OT…
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)