May 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Through 40 minutes of Game 1, the biggest story of the Montreal-Boston series has been Carey Price.
The Habs netminder has been nothing short of brilliant on Thursday, stopping his first 22 shots faced as Montreal went into the second intermission with a 2-0 lead on the Bruins, thanks to goals from P.K. Subban and Rene Bourque.
The story though, as mentioned, has been Price. He showed no signs of rust after an eight-day layoff between tonight’s game and Game 4 of the Tampa Bay series, looking razor sharp as Boston fired 13 shots on goal in the opening frame — which included this glorious chance from Torey Krug:
In the second period, Price was at his very best while Montreal killed off a Josh Gorges penalty:
That stop on Iginla — wow.
It’s worth noting that Price only faced the B’s once this season, as Montreal’s schedule and goalie rotation saw Peter Budaj appear in the final three games of the year against Boston. Price’s lone game against the Bruins was a success, though, as he stopped 32 of 33 shots for a 2-1 win.
Update: Well, Price is sure having himself a night. Here are his highlights from the first overtime session, in which he stopped all 14 shots. He had 47 saves going into the second OT…
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)