May 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Through 40 minutes of Game 1, the biggest story of the Montreal-Boston series has been Carey Price.
The Habs netminder has been nothing short of brilliant on Thursday, stopping his first 22 shots faced as Montreal went into the second intermission with a 2-0 lead on the Bruins, thanks to goals from P.K. Subban and Rene Bourque.
The story though, as mentioned, has been Price. He showed no signs of rust after an eight-day layoff between tonight’s game and Game 4 of the Tampa Bay series, looking razor sharp as Boston fired 13 shots on goal in the opening frame — which included this glorious chance from Torey Krug:
In the second period, Price was at his very best while Montreal killed off a Josh Gorges penalty:
That stop on Iginla — wow.
It’s worth noting that Price only faced the B’s once this season, as Montreal’s schedule and goalie rotation saw Peter Budaj appear in the final three games of the year against Boston. Price’s lone game against the Bruins was a success, though, as he stopped 32 of 33 shots for a 2-1 win.
Update: Well, Price is sure having himself a night. Here are his highlights from the first overtime session, in which he stopped all 14 shots. He had 47 saves going into the second OT…
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)