May 1, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
It looks like the Tampa Bay Lightning’s organization might feature one of the top goaltending prospects next season. Andrei Vasilevski, 19, has decided to leave the KHL’s Ufa Salavat Yulayev, freeing him up to make his North American debut next season, according to Sports.ru’s Igor Eronko.
Vasilevski had a 2.24 GAA and .928 save percentage in 14 KHL contests last season. He also led Russia to a bronze medal in the 2014 World Junior Championship by posting a 1.83 GAA and .933 save percentage in six games.
He was taken with the 19th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Ben Bishop is obviously a lock for the starting job in Tampa Bay after his breakout campaign that earned him a Vezina Trophy nomination, but the Lightning might part ways with Anders Lindback following his disappointing campaign.
If that happens, then Vasilevski might challenge 21-year-old Kristers Gudlevskis for the backup job with the loser of that training camp battle serving as the number one goalie in the minors.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)