May 1, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings, Stanley Cup champions from two years ago and Western Conference finalists in 2013, completed history on Wednesday. As if there was any doubt they would, right?
The Kings defeated the San Jose Sharks by a final score of 5-1 in Game 7 of that Western Conference first-round series, completing a historic comeback by winning the last four games of the series after falling behind 3-0 and forced to the brink of elimination.
They fell behind in the deciding game, but fought their way back. And now a date against the Anaheim Ducks – oh, this should be fun – awaits the Kings in the second round.
The Kings become only the fourth team in NHL history to complete a comeback from down 3-0 in a best-of-seven series. The Philadelphia Flyers in 2010 were the last team to do such a thing. That team also had Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, who now play for the Kings.
A good deal of credit has to go to Jonathan Quick, who was spectacular in goal again in Game 7, making several key saves when the game was tied 1-1 in the second period. Perhaps none bigger than this glove stop off Patrick Marleau.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)