May 1, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings, Stanley Cup champions from two years ago and Western Conference finalists in 2013, completed history on Wednesday. As if there was any doubt they would, right?
The Kings defeated the San Jose Sharks by a final score of 5-1 in Game 7 of that Western Conference first-round series, completing a historic comeback by winning the last four games of the series after falling behind 3-0 and forced to the brink of elimination.
They fell behind in the deciding game, but fought their way back. And now a date against the Anaheim Ducks – oh, this should be fun – awaits the Kings in the second round.
The Kings become only the fourth team in NHL history to complete a comeback from down 3-0 in a best-of-seven series. The Philadelphia Flyers in 2010 were the last team to do such a thing. That team also had Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, who now play for the Kings.
A good deal of credit has to go to Jonathan Quick, who was spectacular in goal again in Game 7, making several key saves when the game was tied 1-1 in the second period. Perhaps none bigger than this glove stop off Patrick Marleau.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)