May 1, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s been in some tough spots this season,* from being without an NHL gig to meeting two new sets of teammates. Wednesday presented maybe the toughest one yet: replacing Darcy Kuemper in the Minnesota Wild’s net with a bit more than eight minutes remaining in Game 7.
The margin of error couldn’t be much smaller: the Colorado Avalanche lead 4-3 with precious little time, so any goals allowed could very well stunt a comeback attempt.
Kuemper may want a goal or two back – particularly Erik Johnson‘s tally – but the belief is that his health challenges might have gotten the best of him.
We’ll see if the Wild can tie things up to give Bryzgalov a real chance to put his own stamp on this game (and series).
* – Waits for “in Edmonton” jokes …
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)