May 1, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s been in some tough spots this season,* from being without an NHL gig to meeting two new sets of teammates. Wednesday presented maybe the toughest one yet: replacing Darcy Kuemper in the Minnesota Wild’s net with a bit more than eight minutes remaining in Game 7.
The margin of error couldn’t be much smaller: the Colorado Avalanche lead 4-3 with precious little time, so any goals allowed could very well stunt a comeback attempt.
Kuemper may want a goal or two back – particularly Erik Johnson‘s tally – but the belief is that his health challenges might have gotten the best of him.
We’ll see if the Wild can tie things up to give Bryzgalov a real chance to put his own stamp on this game (and series).
* – Waits for “in Edmonton” jokes …
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)