May 1, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s been in some tough spots this season,* from being without an NHL gig to meeting two new sets of teammates. Wednesday presented maybe the toughest one yet: replacing Darcy Kuemper in the Minnesota Wild’s net with a bit more than eight minutes remaining in Game 7.
The margin of error couldn’t be much smaller: the Colorado Avalanche lead 4-3 with precious little time, so any goals allowed could very well stunt a comeback attempt.
Kuemper may want a goal or two back – particularly Erik Johnson‘s tally – but the belief is that his health challenges might have gotten the best of him.
We’ll see if the Wild can tie things up to give Bryzgalov a real chance to put his own stamp on this game (and series).
* – Waits for “in Edmonton” jokes …
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)