May 1, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Michel Therrien didn’t exactly answer today’s question about whether his Canadiens were the underdog heading into their series with Boston, but he did offer this:
#Habs Therrien: “Whether we are underdogs or not, the Boston Bruins are the best team in the league right now.”
— John Lu (@JohnLuTSNMtl) May 1, 2014
Statistically speaking, Therrien’s right. Boston captured the Presidents’ Trophy on the strength of a 54-win, 117-point regular season and easily dispatched of Detroit in five games in the opening playoff round, winning four straight after dropping Game 1.
What Therrien didn’t mention, though, is that his team gave the NHL’s top club fits this season. Montreal went 3-1-0 against the Bruins this year — winning twice at TD Garden — and did it largely with Peter Budaj in net, as the Slovak netminder played in three of four head-to-head contests (Carey Price only faced the Bruins once and won, 2-1, back on Dec. 5.)
It’s easy to understand why Therrien has chosen the above narrative, though. He’s always been adept at positioning his club in whatever light he feels will be advantageous — in the 2008 Stanley Cup Final with Pittsburgh, he spent a good chunk of time telling anybody that would listen about how Detroit was obstructing his players, and accused Chris Osgood of embellishing to draw goalie interference calls (see more here).
That said, he’s not going too far with the “Boston’s better” message.
“We’re confident,” he said, prior to tonight’s game. “Come gameday, we’ve talked enough. It’s time for action.”
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)