Apr 30, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
In one of the biggest games in franchise history, the San Jose Sharks will be without one of their best defensemen.
Marc-Edouard Vlasic will miss his second straight contest tonight when the Sharks host the Kings in Game 7 of their first-round series — a series that San Jose once led 3-0.
Vlasic, 27, suffered what’s being called an upper-body injury in Game 5 on a hit (plus forearm to the head) by L.A.’s Jarret Stoll:
Vlasic, a member of Team Canada’s gold-medal winning squad in Sochi, led the Sharks in average even-strength ice time during the regular season and finished a team-high plus-31.
What if the Sharks lose tonight? We discussed that yesterday in PHT Extra:
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 4
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 16
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 59
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5