Apr 30, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
In one of the biggest games in franchise history, the San Jose Sharks will be without one of their best defensemen.
Marc-Edouard Vlasic will miss his second straight contest tonight when the Sharks host the Kings in Game 7 of their first-round series — a series that San Jose once led 3-0.
Vlasic, 27, suffered what’s being called an upper-body injury in Game 5 on a hit (plus forearm to the head) by L.A.’s Jarret Stoll:
Vlasic, a member of Team Canada’s gold-medal winning squad in Sochi, led the Sharks in average even-strength ice time during the regular season and finished a team-high plus-31.
What if the Sharks lose tonight? We discussed that yesterday in PHT Extra:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5