Apr 30, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
In one of the biggest games in franchise history, the San Jose Sharks will be without one of their best defensemen.
Marc-Edouard Vlasic will miss his second straight contest tonight when the Sharks host the Kings in Game 7 of their first-round series — a series that San Jose once led 3-0.
Vlasic, 27, suffered what’s being called an upper-body injury in Game 5 on a hit (plus forearm to the head) by L.A.’s Jarret Stoll:
Vlasic, a member of Team Canada’s gold-medal winning squad in Sochi, led the Sharks in average even-strength ice time during the regular season and finished a team-high plus-31.
What if the Sharks lose tonight? We discussed that yesterday in PHT Extra:
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2