Apr 30, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
In one of the biggest games in franchise history, the San Jose Sharks will be without one of their best defensemen.
Marc-Edouard Vlasic will miss his second straight contest tonight when the Sharks host the Kings in Game 7 of their first-round series — a series that San Jose once led 3-0.
Vlasic, 27, suffered what’s being called an upper-body injury in Game 5 on a hit (plus forearm to the head) by L.A.’s Jarret Stoll:
Vlasic, a member of Team Canada’s gold-medal winning squad in Sochi, led the Sharks in average even-strength ice time during the regular season and finished a team-high plus-31.
What if the Sharks lose tonight? We discussed that yesterday in PHT Extra:
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)