Apr 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers thought they might’ve still had a chance. A very small chance, but something nonetheless in a Game 7 situation against the New York Rangers on Wednesday.
The Flyers, trailing by one goal, were preparing for an offensive zone faceoff with 2.7 seconds remaining in the third period after icing was called on the Rangers. However, the officials overturned the call and the faceoff was brought out to center ice, ending any chance Philadelphia had at tying this one up and send it to overtime.
The Rangers went on to win by a final score of 2-1, taking the series in seven games.
Video shows Rangers’ winger Mats Zuccarello in a foot-race with Flyers’ defenseman Kimmo Timonen right near the top of the faceoff circle, as the puck crossed over the goal line. Hybrid icing was implemented in the NHL this season.
The hybrid-icing system allows the linesman to blow the play dead and call an automatic icing if he determines that the puck will cross the goal line and the defending player is not behind in the race to the end-zone faceoff dots in his defensive zone. The faceoff would go to the far end of the ice as it did with icings called in the previous system the NHL used.
If the attacking player is leading the race, the linesman is supposed to allow the play to continue.
Here are some other tidbits, some controversial, on hybrid icing from the regular season:
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 31
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)