Apr 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers thought they might’ve still had a chance. A very small chance, but something nonetheless in a Game 7 situation against the New York Rangers on Wednesday.
The Flyers, trailing by one goal, were preparing for an offensive zone faceoff with 2.7 seconds remaining in the third period after icing was called on the Rangers. However, the officials overturned the call and the faceoff was brought out to center ice, ending any chance Philadelphia had at tying this one up and send it to overtime.
The Rangers went on to win by a final score of 2-1, taking the series in seven games.
Video shows Rangers’ winger Mats Zuccarello in a foot-race with Flyers’ defenseman Kimmo Timonen right near the top of the faceoff circle, as the puck crossed over the goal line. Hybrid icing was implemented in the NHL this season.
The hybrid-icing system allows the linesman to blow the play dead and call an automatic icing if he determines that the puck will cross the goal line and the defending player is not behind in the race to the end-zone faceoff dots in his defensive zone. The faceoff would go to the far end of the ice as it did with icings called in the previous system the NHL used.
If the attacking player is leading the race, the linesman is supposed to allow the play to continue.
Here are some other tidbits, some controversial, on hybrid icing from the regular season:
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)