Apr 30, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
If the Colorado Avalanche end up winning Game 7 of their series against the Minnesota Wild by a single goal, it will be a controversial conclusion in the eyes of some.
Avalanche forward Nick Holden scored a power-play goal just 2:52 minutes into the game, but Wild goalie Darcy Kuemper had been knocked down by Jamie McGinn. The marker initially didn’t count, but was then ruled a good goal.
As the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo pointed out, incidental contact isn’t something that can be subjected to a video review. That’s something some prominent people would like to see change.
Roberto Luongo took this opportunity to share his thoughts on the subject:
Hey it's only the season on the line. No reason at all to have video review on an interference play like that! Makes total sense #brutal
— Strombone (@strombone1) May 1, 2014
McGinn scored for the Avalanche later in the period to give them a 2-1 lead.
At 2:52 of the first period in the Minnesota Wild/Colorado Avalanche game, Colorado’s Nick Holden shot the puck into the Minnesota net in a legal fashion. The in-zone referee initially waved his arms after the puck crossed the goal line as a reaction to a potential infraction for high-sticking the puck. The on-ice officials then huddled regarding the play to discuss if it was a good hockey goal and agreed the goal would stand. Good goal Colorado.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 14
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 11
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)