Apr 30, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Courtesy online bookmaker Bovada, here are your betting lines for all three of tonight’s Game 7s in the first round of the NHL playoffs:
Philadelphia Flyers (+135) at New York Rangers (-155)
Minnesota Wild (+120) at Colorado Avalanche (-140)
Los Angeles Kings (+120) at San Jose Sharks (-140)
For those of you with no idea what those numbers mean, the higher the + number, the bigger the underdog. More specifically, if a bettor were to wager $100 on the Flyers, he’d stand to win $135. If he were to bet $155 on the Rangers, he’d stand to win $100.
Now, before somebody points it out in the comments section (and somebody always does), the lines don’t always reflect exactly what the oddsmakers think is going to happen in the game. Some bookmakers strive above all for an even amount of action to come in on each side, so if they expect more money to come in on the Rangers (maybe in part because a lot of Rangers fans bet with them), they’ll make it more expensive to bet on the Blueshirts. A lot of books, however, are more than willing to take on risk if they believe in their lines.
Anyway, enjoy the games. Try not to lose your shirt.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18