Apr 30, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
Some people will belittle Henrik Lundqvist‘s accomplishments until or unless he wins the Stanley Cup, but if the question is whether or not he can play in pressure situations, he answered it once again tonight.
The 32-year-old goaltender turned aside 24 of 25 shots in the Rangers’ 2-1 win over Philadelphia in Game 7.
“(Lundqvist) was real solid. We had a couple breakdowns around our net and he made some big saves,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said, per Blueshirts United.
That’s nothing out of the ordinary for Lundqvist though.
He has a 4-1 record and 1.00 GAA in five career Game 7s, according to NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
Among goaltenders that have played in at least three Game 7s, his GAA is tied for first place alongside Johnny Bower and Dwayne Roloson.
Before the playoffs began, Lundqvist questioned the validity of judging a player’s legacy based on whether or not he’s won a championship given that winning the Stanley Cup isn’t an individual accomplishment. That being said, he’s still motivated to win that elusive first Cup and after tonight’s performance, he’s still in the 2014 race.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)