Apr 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Stressing how important it is to “think carefully before you do things,” Trevor Linden said today on Sportsnet 590 The FAN radio that he plans to start the interview process for the new general manager of the Vancouver Canucks sometime next week.
“I would love to have someone in place by the end of May,” said Linden, who’s been the Canucks’ president of hockey operations for three weeks now. “I don’t know if that’s possible.”
While he wouldn’t say how many names are on his list of candidates to replace Mike Gillis, he did say he was happy with the ones he’s compiled, even if Brad Treliving was snapped up by the Flames before he could be interviewed.
Meanwhile, when asked about the future of coach John Tortorella, Linden was vague.
“I have a great deal of respect for John,” said Linden. “He’s been successful in this league. He’s won a Stanley Cup. It’s a decision that has effects all over the place. I just want to make sure that I’m seeing things clearly.”
Linden did say it was “imperative” that the new GM gets to choose his head coach, which may mean the decision on Tortorella could rest with the successful candidate.
There are only three official coaching vacancies in the NHL — Washington, Nashville and Florida. Of course, that number could increase soon depending what happens in the playoffs, as well as places like Toronto and Carolina.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)