Apr 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Stressing how important it is to “think carefully before you do things,” Trevor Linden said today on Sportsnet 590 The FAN radio that he plans to start the interview process for the new general manager of the Vancouver Canucks sometime next week.
“I would love to have someone in place by the end of May,” said Linden, who’s been the Canucks’ president of hockey operations for three weeks now. “I don’t know if that’s possible.”
While he wouldn’t say how many names are on his list of candidates to replace Mike Gillis, he did say he was happy with the ones he’s compiled, even if Brad Treliving was snapped up by the Flames before he could be interviewed.
Meanwhile, when asked about the future of coach John Tortorella, Linden was vague.
“I have a great deal of respect for John,” said Linden. “He’s been successful in this league. He’s won a Stanley Cup. It’s a decision that has effects all over the place. I just want to make sure that I’m seeing things clearly.”
Linden did say it was “imperative” that the new GM gets to choose his head coach, which may mean the decision on Tortorella could rest with the successful candidate.
There are only three official coaching vacancies in the NHL — Washington, Nashville and Florida. Of course, that number could increase soon depending what happens in the playoffs, as well as places like Toronto and Carolina.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)