Apr 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Stressing how important it is to “think carefully before you do things,” Trevor Linden said today on Sportsnet 590 The FAN radio that he plans to start the interview process for the new general manager of the Vancouver Canucks sometime next week.
“I would love to have someone in place by the end of May,” said Linden, who’s been the Canucks’ president of hockey operations for three weeks now. “I don’t know if that’s possible.”
While he wouldn’t say how many names are on his list of candidates to replace Mike Gillis, he did say he was happy with the ones he’s compiled, even if Brad Treliving was snapped up by the Flames before he could be interviewed.
Meanwhile, when asked about the future of coach John Tortorella, Linden was vague.
“I have a great deal of respect for John,” said Linden. “He’s been successful in this league. He’s won a Stanley Cup. It’s a decision that has effects all over the place. I just want to make sure that I’m seeing things clearly.”
Linden did say it was “imperative” that the new GM gets to choose his head coach, which may mean the decision on Tortorella could rest with the successful candidate.
There are only three official coaching vacancies in the NHL — Washington, Nashville and Florida. Of course, that number could increase soon depending what happens in the playoffs, as well as places like Toronto and Carolina.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)