Apr 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Stressing how important it is to “think carefully before you do things,” Trevor Linden said today on Sportsnet 590 The FAN radio that he plans to start the interview process for the new general manager of the Vancouver Canucks sometime next week.
“I would love to have someone in place by the end of May,” said Linden, who’s been the Canucks’ president of hockey operations for three weeks now. “I don’t know if that’s possible.”
While he wouldn’t say how many names are on his list of candidates to replace Mike Gillis, he did say he was happy with the ones he’s compiled, even if Brad Treliving was snapped up by the Flames before he could be interviewed.
Meanwhile, when asked about the future of coach John Tortorella, Linden was vague.
“I have a great deal of respect for John,” said Linden. “He’s been successful in this league. He’s won a Stanley Cup. It’s a decision that has effects all over the place. I just want to make sure that I’m seeing things clearly.”
Linden did say it was “imperative” that the new GM gets to choose his head coach, which may mean the decision on Tortorella could rest with the successful candidate.
There are only three official coaching vacancies in the NHL — Washington, Nashville and Florida. Of course, that number could increase soon depending what happens in the playoffs, as well as places like Toronto and Carolina.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)