Apr 30, 2014, 7:24 PM EST
Tim Leiweke watched the Toronto Maple Leafs squander an impressive start to the season and miss the playoffs entirely with a 2-12-0 finish. For the Maple Leafs, collapses have become almost routine in recent years, but it’s still relatively new to Leiweke, who took over as president of and CEO of MLSE, the parent company of the Toronto Maple Leafs, roughly a year ago.
“I’m very comfortable that … we’re never going to have to go through this sort of thing again, because I won’t let it happen,” Leiweke told the Fan 590. “It’s just unacceptable.”
Leiweke feels he has an ally in his quest to make that happen in new team president Brendan Shanahan.
“I see the way (Shanahan) is going about this and it gives me a lot of comfort that we’re about to make the right decisions in a lot of different areas soon,” Leiweke said.
When asked about Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle, Leiweke said that the coaching situation was Shanahan’s and GM Dave Nonis’ to handle. He was willing to back Nonis though and insist that Shanahan’s presence hasn’t marginalized the general manager.
Leiweke has been nothing if not bold. He’s mapped out the Maple Leafs’ Stanley Cup parade route and spoke about his desire to be a “hero” in Toronto.
That’s attracted some criticism, but it clearly hasn’t lessened his resolve.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)