Apr 30, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
Tim Leiweke watched the Toronto Maple Leafs squander an impressive start to the season and miss the playoffs entirely with a 2-12-0 finish. For the Maple Leafs, collapses have become almost routine in recent years, but it’s still relatively new to Leiweke, who took over as president of and CEO of MLSE, the parent company of the Toronto Maple Leafs, roughly a year ago.
“I’m very comfortable that … we’re never going to have to go through this sort of thing again, because I won’t let it happen,” Leiweke told the Fan 590. “It’s just unacceptable.”
Leiweke feels he has an ally in his quest to make that happen in new team president Brendan Shanahan.
“I see the way (Shanahan) is going about this and it gives me a lot of comfort that we’re about to make the right decisions in a lot of different areas soon,” Leiweke said.
When asked about Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle, Leiweke said that the coaching situation was Shanahan’s and GM Dave Nonis’ to handle. He was willing to back Nonis though and insist that Shanahan’s presence hasn’t marginalized the general manager.
Leiweke has been nothing if not bold. He’s mapped out the Maple Leafs’ Stanley Cup parade route and spoke about his desire to be a “hero” in Toronto.
That’s attracted some criticism, but it clearly hasn’t lessened his resolve.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)