Apr 30, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
Tim Leiweke watched the Toronto Maple Leafs squander an impressive start to the season and miss the playoffs entirely with a 2-12-0 finish. For the Maple Leafs, collapses have become almost routine in recent years, but it’s still relatively new to Leiweke, who took over as president of and CEO of MLSE, the parent company of the Toronto Maple Leafs, roughly a year ago.
“I’m very comfortable that … we’re never going to have to go through this sort of thing again, because I won’t let it happen,” Leiweke told the Fan 590. “It’s just unacceptable.”
Leiweke feels he has an ally in his quest to make that happen in new team president Brendan Shanahan.
“I see the way (Shanahan) is going about this and it gives me a lot of comfort that we’re about to make the right decisions in a lot of different areas soon,” Leiweke said.
When asked about Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle, Leiweke said that the coaching situation was Shanahan’s and GM Dave Nonis’ to handle. He was willing to back Nonis though and insist that Shanahan’s presence hasn’t marginalized the general manager.
Leiweke has been nothing if not bold. He’s mapped out the Maple Leafs’ Stanley Cup parade route and spoke about his desire to be a “hero” in Toronto.
That’s attracted some criticism, but it clearly hasn’t lessened his resolve.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)