Apr 30, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
Tim Leiweke watched the Toronto Maple Leafs squander an impressive start to the season and miss the playoffs entirely with a 2-12-0 finish. For the Maple Leafs, collapses have become almost routine in recent years, but it’s still relatively new to Leiweke, who took over as president of and CEO of MLSE, the parent company of the Toronto Maple Leafs, roughly a year ago.
“I’m very comfortable that … we’re never going to have to go through this sort of thing again, because I won’t let it happen,” Leiweke told the Fan 590. “It’s just unacceptable.”
Leiweke feels he has an ally in his quest to make that happen in new team president Brendan Shanahan.
“I see the way (Shanahan) is going about this and it gives me a lot of comfort that we’re about to make the right decisions in a lot of different areas soon,” Leiweke said.
When asked about Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle, Leiweke said that the coaching situation was Shanahan’s and GM Dave Nonis’ to handle. He was willing to back Nonis though and insist that Shanahan’s presence hasn’t marginalized the general manager.
Leiweke has been nothing if not bold. He’s mapped out the Maple Leafs’ Stanley Cup parade route and spoke about his desire to be a “hero” in Toronto.
That’s attracted some criticism, but it clearly hasn’t lessened his resolve.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 15
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)