Apr 30, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
Tim Leiweke watched the Toronto Maple Leafs squander an impressive start to the season and miss the playoffs entirely with a 2-12-0 finish. For the Maple Leafs, collapses have become almost routine in recent years, but it’s still relatively new to Leiweke, who took over as president of and CEO of MLSE, the parent company of the Toronto Maple Leafs, roughly a year ago.
“I’m very comfortable that … we’re never going to have to go through this sort of thing again, because I won’t let it happen,” Leiweke told the Fan 590. “It’s just unacceptable.”
Leiweke feels he has an ally in his quest to make that happen in new team president Brendan Shanahan.
“I see the way (Shanahan) is going about this and it gives me a lot of comfort that we’re about to make the right decisions in a lot of different areas soon,” Leiweke said.
When asked about Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle, Leiweke said that the coaching situation was Shanahan’s and GM Dave Nonis’ to handle. He was willing to back Nonis though and insist that Shanahan’s presence hasn’t marginalized the general manager.
Leiweke has been nothing if not bold. He’s mapped out the Maple Leafs’ Stanley Cup parade route and spoke about his desire to be a “hero” in Toronto.
That’s attracted some criticism, but it clearly hasn’t lessened his resolve.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)