Julien: Bruins-Habs series starting faster than we expected

Apr 30, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT

julienap AP

To hear Claude Julien explain it, the Bruins don’t sound thrilled about starting their second-round series against Montreal so soon.

From CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty:

The B’s bench boss admitted the Bruins were planning for a Friday or Saturday start to the playoff series with Northeastern University scheduled for Friday morning at TD Garden, and the thinking being that the TD Garden bull gang wouldn’t be able change over from playoff hockey sheet to graduating staging.

“We had to make some adjustments. Obviously at first, it looked more like a Friday, maybe Saturday. There was a lot of that talk,” said Claude Julien. “But there was never any talk of Thursday. So you plan accordingly and then you find out last night that you got to kind of move a little quicker than expected. That’s part of making adjustments as you go along.”

Last night, NHL officially announced the B’s-Habs series would start on Thursday — but has yet to announce the remaining times and dates for the series. A report from French-Canadian news outlet RDS claims Game 2 will go Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at TD Garden, which has yet to be confirmed.

Regardless of when either team thought the series would — or should — start, both will be sufficiently rested for Thursday’s Game 1. Montreal hasn’t played since closing out its opening-round series against Tampa Bay eight days ago, while the Bruins haven’t played since defeating Detroit on Saturday.

1. dropthepuckeh - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I don’t think it should matter to either team given their familiarity with one another and the long rest each side has had. I do think it is ridiculous that we have to wait so long to get the schedule so they can line up the broadcasts. I guess it is the price we pay to be able to see all of the coverage on NBC/NHL.

disclaimer: First world problems I know but…..people have to schedule work, babysitters, travel, family stuff and a lot of us do it around the games this time of year. Couldn’t they at least say – If NYR wins tonight, Game 2 will be X and if Philly wins, Game 2 will be Y. There are only so many variables involved at this point so some transparency would be great.

2. dboldave - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Just reporting everything Bruins related huh? They expected to play Friday or Saturday and it went to Thursday. Naturally there will be some adjustments needed because of this.

I’m expecting this to snowball though and we’ll soon hear that Julien is crying, Bruins are stomping their feet about the change and on this forum we’ll hear “already making excuses”! Playoff microscope in full effect!

3. montrealbbr - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM

You dont hear Montreal complaining about this. Typical Boston whining!

• stepanup - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM

If a troll dives back under a bridge, does Montreal whine that he was tripped?

• beyor35 - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM

LMFAO… enough said…

• pepper2011 - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Can you point out what would be considered whining?

was it the part where he said “that’s part of making adjustments?”

• thesportsjudge - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Should you maybe check a Canadian site, like TSN?

• bsfan77 - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM

No whining in that article. Obviously montrealbbr can’t read either. Saw him post on another article that the Bruins had nothing but trouble with Detroit and it took dirty plays to win. Do you even watch or understand hockey? I have played in more games than you have ever watched. I don’t understand how someone like yourself that claims to know about hockey can say the Bruins aren’t playing outstanding hockey right now. Their D is going to shut down the Habnots in the neutral zone and out muscle them all over the ice. I am sure that if Moen fights again he will need help getting off the ice. Btw, have fun trying to put pucks Tuukka. That is if you can get through the D. I hope Subban bangs his head diving and has to sit at home for the rest of the post season.

• drewzducks - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM

4. stcrowe - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I know that TV scheduling is a big thing, but tighter scheduling could probably end the playoffs by the end of May, instead of stretching it into June.

When I was a kid, I remember that every series started with two games in straight nights, one travelling day, then two more games in straight nights. I believe that games 5 and 6 (if necessary) also ran in straight nights, with one further travel day before game 7 (if necessary). Now, there is usually one day between each game, sometimes two. This means that a full seven game series ends in 13 or 14 days, instead of 10.

It is just my personal preference, but I loved the intensity of it. A four game sweep could happen in five days. Now, it would take at least seven days.

5. runhigh24 - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Not gonna be the last we here of stuff like this. The winner of the Ranger/Flyers game tonight is gonna have to play game 1 vs. the Penguins on Friday night. Talk about a quick turnaround.

6. ironyisadeadscene - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Do rational Canadiens fans even exist? I don’t think i’ve ever seen one on here. They must have went extinct…much like the unbiased Penguins fan.

• beyor35 - Apr 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM

They do exist but it’s almost as hard as finding the lockness monster or bigfoot…

7. bleedrangerblue - Apr 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Here’s hoping both teams kill each other. Both teams Are dirty and chippy. Good times ahead.

• pepper2011 - Apr 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Philly is winning tonight.

8. crusty14 - Apr 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I think the biggest concern is the ice condition . Going from hockey late Thursday to commencement ceremony Friday , back to hockey early Saturday is going to affect the ice. I would expect a Saturday night game 2 so that A) more time for ice quality, and B) a Saturday night telecast for CBC and ratings

9. joey4id - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I don’t see where Julien is complaining. The marching orders for the NHL scheduling dept. comes from NBC. NBC absolutely wants the Habs/Bruins games to be scheduled where they can maximize viewer ratings. Hence Thursday, and the 12:30 pm start on Saturday. Anything later on Saturday would seriously reduce the viewership in the US markets.

• nhstateline - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:15 PM

you don’t see where he’s complaining because he isn’t complaining. He’s saying the same thing that I as a ticket holder am saying. I am happy they set a date, I am surprised it is thursday not friday.Do I care ? Not really, it just means I had to change a couple of things on my schedule. I wouldn’t call that whining.

10. crusty14 - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM

You may be right there Joey about NBC and their wants, I just figured with the habs being the lone canadian team that the league might throw CBC a bone! I don’t know where you’re from, but a Saturday night without hockey in Canada just isn’t right ! Lol

• clavette - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM

yea i definitely thought the same about CBC. once the time is announced we will know which one has more pull with the nhl

• nhstateline - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM

While I’m surprised they’re playing a day game on saturday, it’s a sign there are more people watching in the USA than there used to be meaning the NHL would put something on in that slot to serve that audience. Now the currently if necessary game 5 will be a saturday but it’ll almost for sure be a night game meaning CBC gets the Habs on HNIC at least once too.

11. terrier92 - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM

IMG_4262.jpeg

12. gallyhatch - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM

As a season ticket holder, I’m not thrilled that this game was announced less than 48 hours before the start of the game. Especially when all the talk was suggesting Friday or Saturday.

dropthepuckeh hit the nail on the head when he said this is a first world problem, but it’s kind of ridiculous that this wasn’t announced earlier than the 2nd intermission of last night’s game.

I love hockey, but let’s face facts, the NHL would F@#% up a free lunch.

It feels like the NHL’s popularity is through the roof right now DESPITE last year’s lockout, and they still can’t seem to get their $hit straight.

I’m done, that’s enough b!tching. . . .

LET’S GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!

13. graymalkin26 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Boston strong ho$mos

14. arbruins - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I thought I just heard the thump of canadiens bodies flopping all over the ice like flounder. Must be one if their diving practice sessions. This is going to be a good series!

15. arbruins - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM

What’s a hosmos?

• lordstanley65 - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Another way to say Graymalkin.

16. rgledz - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Can’t they just complain to the league and get them to change this? The league does everything else for them.

17. nhstateline - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Really the problem with these teams playing each other is that the idiots in both fan bases get empowered. I’m always very put off by the anti-Francophone Canadian stuff that comes up around Boston and the anti-Americanism that comes up in Canada when these teams play. No need for it. Nor is there any need to say bad things about either city or the vast majority of the people who live in them. They’re both great areas in their own way.

18. vbcaps - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Can’t wait. But it’s probably because the NHL brass wants to keep the momentum going

Top 10 NHL Player Searches