Apr 30, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
The players don’t start battling on the ice until tomorrow at TD Garden, but the latest postseason installment of the Montreal Canadiens versus the Boston Bruins has already set off a war or words on the interwebs.
In response to Habs blog Eyes on the Prize, which expects “embellishment to be a major part of Boston’s game plan” during the longtime rivals’ second-round series — and has gone to the trouble of providing video evidence to support its case — here’s CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty with a rebuttal:
The proof is in the numbers, plain and simple. The Bruins were dead last in the NHL with 230 power play chances in 82 regular season games during the 2013-14 regular season, and were – yup, you guessed it – dead last in the NHL during the 2012-13 regular season with 122 power play chances during the lockout-shortened 48 season campaign.
In fact the Bruins have consistently ranked from 23rd-30th in the NHL for power play chances under Claude Julien because the Boston coaching staff preaches a non-diving philosophy, and it’s something that Julien, in particular, feels is disrespectful to the game of hockey. It also embarrasses the referees that are trying to do the right thing.
Which team led the entire league in power play chances last season, and had nearly twice as many with 203 power play chances in those 48 games? That’s right, it was Les Habitants.
Yep, this is going to be a fun series.
For what it’s worth, Bruins legend Ray Bourque went on Boston radio this morning and said: “If [embellishing] gets you a call, why not?”
We will now step aside and let the commenters tear this place apart below.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Veteran d-man will be parked in the press box in Buffalo tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Minnesota’s in Dallas tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
“Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Former King, Devil and ‘Cane joins HC Lokomotiv.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Eat some leftovers and watch some quality afternoon hockey.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 18
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)