Apr 30, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
The players don’t start battling on the ice until tomorrow at TD Garden, but the latest postseason installment of the Montreal Canadiens versus the Boston Bruins has already set off a war or words on the interwebs.
In response to Habs blog Eyes on the Prize, which expects “embellishment to be a major part of Boston’s game plan” during the longtime rivals’ second-round series — and has gone to the trouble of providing video evidence to support its case — here’s CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty with a rebuttal:
The proof is in the numbers, plain and simple. The Bruins were dead last in the NHL with 230 power play chances in 82 regular season games during the 2013-14 regular season, and were – yup, you guessed it – dead last in the NHL during the 2012-13 regular season with 122 power play chances during the lockout-shortened 48 season campaign.
In fact the Bruins have consistently ranked from 23rd-30th in the NHL for power play chances under Claude Julien because the Boston coaching staff preaches a non-diving philosophy, and it’s something that Julien, in particular, feels is disrespectful to the game of hockey. It also embarrasses the referees that are trying to do the right thing.
Which team led the entire league in power play chances last season, and had nearly twice as many with 203 power play chances in those 48 games? That’s right, it was Les Habitants.
Yep, this is going to be a fun series.
For what it’s worth, Bruins legend Ray Bourque went on Boston radio this morning and said: “If [embellishing] gets you a call, why not?”
We will now step aside and let the commenters tear this place apart below.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 12
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28