Apr 30, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
The players don’t start battling on the ice until tomorrow at TD Garden, but the latest postseason installment of the Montreal Canadiens versus the Boston Bruins has already set off a war or words on the interwebs.
In response to Habs blog Eyes on the Prize, which expects “embellishment to be a major part of Boston’s game plan” during the longtime rivals’ second-round series — and has gone to the trouble of providing video evidence to support its case — here’s CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty with a rebuttal:
The proof is in the numbers, plain and simple. The Bruins were dead last in the NHL with 230 power play chances in 82 regular season games during the 2013-14 regular season, and were – yup, you guessed it – dead last in the NHL during the 2012-13 regular season with 122 power play chances during the lockout-shortened 48 season campaign.
In fact the Bruins have consistently ranked from 23rd-30th in the NHL for power play chances under Claude Julien because the Boston coaching staff preaches a non-diving philosophy, and it’s something that Julien, in particular, feels is disrespectful to the game of hockey. It also embarrasses the referees that are trying to do the right thing.
Which team led the entire league in power play chances last season, and had nearly twice as many with 203 power play chances in those 48 games? That’s right, it was Les Habitants.
Yep, this is going to be a fun series.
For what it’s worth, Bruins legend Ray Bourque went on Boston radio this morning and said: “If [embellishing] gets you a call, why not?”
We will now step aside and let the commenters tear this place apart below.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)