Apr 30, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
We welcomed Christian Ehrhoff to the trade rumor mill back in February, so let’s re-welcome him now.
The 31-year-old is just three seasons into a 10-year contract signed in 2011. He has a limited no-trade clause, but the Sabres asked him to supply a list of teams to which he’d accept a trade. Nothing came of the talks, but there’s reason to believe chatter will begin again.
“I think if they want to move me, they can move me,” said Ehrhoff, who thinks he’ll be back next season. “So far, I do. We’ll see. Obviously, it’s not up to me and that remains to be seen.”
Whether he wants to be part of the Sabres’ rebuild is another matter.
“Um,” Ehrhoff said before taking a long pause. “I signed a long-term commitment with the team, and as long as they want me to be here I’m going to do my best for the team. That’s it.”
It stands to reason that Ehrhoff — who’s 10-year, $40 million deal was one of ex-Sabres GM Darcy Regier’s biggest moves — might not be in Buffalo’s future plans (another of Regier’s big gambles, Ville Leino, appears primed to be bought out this summer.)
Even without the Regier factor, Ehrhoff doesn’t seem like an ideal fit for the Sabres right now. He turns 32 in July and would be more suited to play on a team closer to winning a Cup, or at least contending for the playoffs. Buffalo also has a wealth of young blueline talent — Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Zadorov, Jake McCabe, Mark Pysyk — that could probably use minutes at the NHL level rather than have them eaten by Ehrhoff, who the News said “often appeared uninterested as the season dragged on.”
Ehrhoff didn’t exactly downplay that assertion, either.
“It’s definitely tough with the season we had,” he said. “With a season like that, you’re glad to get it over with and start fresh with the new season.”
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Some depth for the Bolts.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
He shared his story (and struggles) this past week.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
It may leave them in a “cap vise.”
Jul 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
That doesn’t guarantee that a hearing would take place, though.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Brandon Dubinsky is the latest to pipe up.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Vancouver started its development camp this weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
His offensive totals were down, but was regularly used on penalty kill.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Spent most of the 2014-15 season in the OHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
They had agreed to terms last weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)