Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have an opening for a new assistant general manager, but they’re in no hurry to fill it.
With Brad Treliving off to Calgary to be the Flames new general manager there, Coyotes GM Don Maloney said he isn’t eager to hire someone new as Dave Vest at the Coyotes site writes.
“I don’t feel any urgency to fill the position immediately,” Maloney said. “We have some very good people internally whose roles will be expanded… In the meantime, I’m mulling over what we really need for that position to move forward.”
Maloney said they may not hire someone to work directly under him but may opt to have more people working in the field to give them more eyes elsewhere to find talent.
Treliving had been Maloney’s assistant since 2003 and losing anyone after having them for 11 years is a substantial loss. For Maloney, he’s got one less set of eyes to examine talent and instead of having Treliving working for him, he’s working against him in Calgary.
This offseason is an important one for the Coyotes after missing the postseason the past two seasons. They’re eager to add scoring talent to their top-six forwards, something Maloney has been trying to do since last summer.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 7
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)