Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have an opening for a new assistant general manager, but they’re in no hurry to fill it.
With Brad Treliving off to Calgary to be the Flames new general manager there, Coyotes GM Don Maloney said he isn’t eager to hire someone new as Dave Vest at the Coyotes site writes.
“I don’t feel any urgency to fill the position immediately,” Maloney said. “We have some very good people internally whose roles will be expanded… In the meantime, I’m mulling over what we really need for that position to move forward.”
Maloney said they may not hire someone to work directly under him but may opt to have more people working in the field to give them more eyes elsewhere to find talent.
Treliving had been Maloney’s assistant since 2003 and losing anyone after having them for 11 years is a substantial loss. For Maloney, he’s got one less set of eyes to examine talent and instead of having Treliving working for him, he’s working against him in Calgary.
This offseason is an important one for the Coyotes after missing the postseason the past two seasons. They’re eager to add scoring talent to their top-six forwards, something Maloney has been trying to do since last summer.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)