Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have an opening for a new assistant general manager, but they’re in no hurry to fill it.
With Brad Treliving off to Calgary to be the Flames new general manager there, Coyotes GM Don Maloney said he isn’t eager to hire someone new as Dave Vest at the Coyotes site writes.
“I don’t feel any urgency to fill the position immediately,” Maloney said. “We have some very good people internally whose roles will be expanded… In the meantime, I’m mulling over what we really need for that position to move forward.”
Maloney said they may not hire someone to work directly under him but may opt to have more people working in the field to give them more eyes elsewhere to find talent.
Treliving had been Maloney’s assistant since 2003 and losing anyone after having them for 11 years is a substantial loss. For Maloney, he’s got one less set of eyes to examine talent and instead of having Treliving working for him, he’s working against him in Calgary.
This offseason is an important one for the Coyotes after missing the postseason the past two seasons. They’re eager to add scoring talent to their top-six forwards, something Maloney has been trying to do since last summer.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)