Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have an opening for a new assistant general manager, but they’re in no hurry to fill it.
With Brad Treliving off to Calgary to be the Flames new general manager there, Coyotes GM Don Maloney said he isn’t eager to hire someone new as Dave Vest at the Coyotes site writes.
“I don’t feel any urgency to fill the position immediately,” Maloney said. “We have some very good people internally whose roles will be expanded… In the meantime, I’m mulling over what we really need for that position to move forward.”
Maloney said they may not hire someone to work directly under him but may opt to have more people working in the field to give them more eyes elsewhere to find talent.
Treliving had been Maloney’s assistant since 2003 and losing anyone after having them for 11 years is a substantial loss. For Maloney, he’s got one less set of eyes to examine talent and instead of having Treliving working for him, he’s working against him in Calgary.
This offseason is an important one for the Coyotes after missing the postseason the past two seasons. They’re eager to add scoring talent to their top-six forwards, something Maloney has been trying to do since last summer.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)