Apr 29, 2014, 1:17 AM EDT
Those expecting pessimism from Patrick Roy following Monday’s 5-2 loss to Minnesota weren’t getting any.
“You know what? We fought all year to be in that position to be in a Game 7,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “We’re going to be in our building, in front of our fans. I’m sure our players are excited about it. I know our players are not happy with losing this game, but we are excited to be going back home.
“I’d rather be playing at home.”
You can expect to hear plenty about “playing at home” leading up to Wednesday’s game at the Pepsi Center. Monday’s Game 6 marked the sixth time in this series the home team emerged the victor, with both teams playing “their games” at home. The Avs have been dynamic offensively at the Pepsi Center, scoring 13 times in three games, while the Wild have been equally good defensively at Xcel, surrendering just three goals on 57 shots against.
But those performances at Xcel are now rendered moot, because Game 7 is in Denver.
Aside from winning all three games at home this series, the Avs have a season-long history of solid performances in Colorado. They went 26-11-4 during the year and closed out the year going 2-0-1 with wins over Vancouver and the Rangers, losing to Pittsburgh in a shootout.
In light of this decided home-ice advantage, one would expect the Wild to go into Game 7 as the underdog — but as head coach Mike Yeo reminded after tonight’s win, anything can happen in a one-shot, winner-take all scenario.
“We’ve got to be ready to go play our best game of the series,” he said. “We’re not done. We’ll go in there with a real purpose.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)