Apr 29, 2014, 1:17 AM EST
Those expecting pessimism from Patrick Roy following Monday’s 5-2 loss to Minnesota weren’t getting any.
“You know what? We fought all year to be in that position to be in a Game 7,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “We’re going to be in our building, in front of our fans. I’m sure our players are excited about it. I know our players are not happy with losing this game, but we are excited to be going back home.
“I’d rather be playing at home.”
You can expect to hear plenty about “playing at home” leading up to Wednesday’s game at the Pepsi Center. Monday’s Game 6 marked the sixth time in this series the home team emerged the victor, with both teams playing “their games” at home. The Avs have been dynamic offensively at the Pepsi Center, scoring 13 times in three games, while the Wild have been equally good defensively at Xcel, surrendering just three goals on 57 shots against.
But those performances at Xcel are now rendered moot, because Game 7 is in Denver.
Aside from winning all three games at home this series, the Avs have a season-long history of solid performances in Colorado. They went 26-11-4 during the year and closed out the year going 2-0-1 with wins over Vancouver and the Rangers, losing to Pittsburgh in a shootout.
In light of this decided home-ice advantage, one would expect the Wild to go into Game 7 as the underdog — but as head coach Mike Yeo reminded after tonight’s win, anything can happen in a one-shot, winner-take all scenario.
“We’ve got to be ready to go play our best game of the series,” he said. “We’re not done. We’ll go in there with a real purpose.”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)