Apr 29, 2014, 1:17 AM EDT
Those expecting pessimism from Patrick Roy following Monday’s 5-2 loss to Minnesota weren’t getting any.
“You know what? We fought all year to be in that position to be in a Game 7,” Roy said, per the Denver Post. “We’re going to be in our building, in front of our fans. I’m sure our players are excited about it. I know our players are not happy with losing this game, but we are excited to be going back home.
“I’d rather be playing at home.”
You can expect to hear plenty about “playing at home” leading up to Wednesday’s game at the Pepsi Center. Monday’s Game 6 marked the sixth time in this series the home team emerged the victor, with both teams playing “their games” at home. The Avs have been dynamic offensively at the Pepsi Center, scoring 13 times in three games, while the Wild have been equally good defensively at Xcel, surrendering just three goals on 57 shots against.
But those performances at Xcel are now rendered moot, because Game 7 is in Denver.
Aside from winning all three games at home this series, the Avs have a season-long history of solid performances in Colorado. They went 26-11-4 during the year and closed out the year going 2-0-1 with wins over Vancouver and the Rangers, losing to Pittsburgh in a shootout.
In light of this decided home-ice advantage, one would expect the Wild to go into Game 7 as the underdog — but as head coach Mike Yeo reminded after tonight’s win, anything can happen in a one-shot, winner-take all scenario.
“We’ve got to be ready to go play our best game of the series,” he said. “We’re not done. We’ll go in there with a real purpose.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)