Apr 29, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr said after practice w/ national team he will continue in #njdevils team. He said he already has agreement with the club.
— Roman Jedlicka (@jedli) April 29, 2014
Jagr, who turned 42 in February, played last season — his first with New Jersey — on a one-year, $4.55 million deal and proved to be one of the best free agent signings of the summer, leading the Devils in scoring (67 points) while finishing 27th in the NHL in scoring.
He also appeared in all 82 games and represented the Czech Republic at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, suggesting that he’s nowhere close to slowing down.
Should Jedlicka’s report prove accurate and Jagr does indeed return, 2014-15 promises to be one filled with milestones. Jagr currently sits sixth on the NHL’s all-time points leaderboard — with 1,755 — needing 17 more to surpass Marcel Dionne for fifth and 44 to move past Ron Francis for fourth.
He could also move significantly up the goals scored leaderboard. Jagr’s currently on 705 — seventh-most all-time — but is within striking distance of Mike Gartner (708), Phil Esposito (717), Dionne (731) and Brett Hull (741).
That Jagr wants to continue in New Jersey shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. In March, he said he liked his situation with the Devils and that he would keep playing in the NHL “for as long as I can. I love it.”
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, sounds like the deal is done and could be a nice raise for Jagr…
One year deal for Jaromir Jagr with the Devils. Value is between 5 and 6 million dollars depending on bonuses. #tvasports
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) April 29, 2014
May 26, 2015, 1:13 AM EDT
Monday’s tough loss hasn’t weakened his resolve.
May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
Matt Beleskey scored the game winner after initially losing his second line spot.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Chicago was trailing for most of the game.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)