Mason, Simmonds help Flyers force a Game 7 against Rangers

Apr 29, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers - Game Six Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers have often been at their best with their backs against the wall this season. That certainly seemed to be the case on Tuesday, as they dominated the New York Rangers 5-2 to send this first-round series to a decisive Game 7 on Wednesday.

For a series that’s had its fair share of extra rest nights, it could be interesting to see how back-to-back games may affect the tenor of tomorrow’s contest.

If you believe in momentum, then the Flyers will clearly bring that advantage into Madison Square Garden.

Steve Mason put together a masterful performance on Tuesday. While he didn’t notch a shutout thanks to some harmless late Rangers goals, he put together a handful of highlight reel saves. Overall, he stopped 34 out of 36 shots.

Wayne Simmonds stood out in his own right, bouncing back from a slow playoff start offensively to collect an impressive hat trick. Here’s the tally that prompted the exposure of some scalps:

While Mason put together the sort of performance that inspired ovations from Flyers fans, Henrik Lundqvist found himself watching the third period from the bench, as Cam Talbot came in during the final frame. As tough as a night as it was for Lundqvist – though some blame the team in front of him in equal proportions – Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault likely also wanted to protect his go-to goalie for a quick turnaround.

Simply put, the Rangers seem to do things the hard way:

Game 7 is an interesting situation to judge on paper. On one hand, the Flyers come off a huge and impressive win with their playoff hopes on the line. On the other hand, these playoffs have shown that the mood of any given series can change multiple times, often in the same game.

Also, sad Rangers fans might find solace in this:

The two teams will kick off a fascinating slate of three Game 7 showdowns on Wednesday, so get ready for some wild action to close out one of the best first rounds in some time (which is saying something).

1. billiam55 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM

well from a NYR fan i expected the flyers to battle hard like this. especially mason. he was a beast tonight. moving on to game 7!

• courtjester1234 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM

And as a Flyers fan I’m afraid this was a huge adrenaline rush and will be burned out for tomorrow nights game.
      God I hope I’m wrong

• blomfeld - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM

CONGRATS TO ‘COSA NOSTRA’ NHL STYLE !!!

and while you’re at it, please make sure that fur trapper comes to rue the day he stepped down at JFK as ‘all that’ eh ? … thanks man, comrade Blomfeld :)

• gnashty - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:26 AM

It was a fantastic game for the Flyers. Also I wanted to come back in here just to say how Gus could make a difference for the Flyers team simply due to his speed and quickness. He scores a huge goal and played very well on the defensive side. Game 7 it is!

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM

the only mistakes I saw him make last night were because he was trying to cover Schenn’s slow ass. exactly why I wanted him in the lineup for game 5 too.

• gnashty - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM

He is a good player and it showed last night. His speed and quickness was much needed for this Flyers team. Game 7 tonight ! Hope those Broad Street Bullies put together another complete game! LETS GO FLYERS! I do not want to trim my beard yet

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM

your handle keeps confusing me. makes me think you’re a Rangers fan… or maybe a CBJ fan in need of an update.

• gnashty - Apr 30, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Haha, no. Philadelphia in all 4 major sports. My handle would simply be my online gaming name. It’s from Gears of War. But let me make it clear – I am a 100% Philadelphia fan. Flyers & Eagles <3

2. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Guess what ranger fans yous dont lead the series anymore because the MASE was in YO FACE !!!

3. renberg19 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I wonder who the Penguins will be cheering for.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Hockey412 will cheer neither for or against the Flyers. He’s like the 5th amendment of hockey.

• billiam55 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

obviously the rangers bc they have trouble beating the flyers for some reason.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 30, 2014 at 4:01 AM

That’s easy Renberg: lots of overtimes!!!

• Tyler - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I’m a Penguins fan and I would rather play the Flyers in round 2. I might be alone in saying that. Despite this series, I think the Rangers are playing better hockey and Lundqvist has the ability to steal more than one game.

4. broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Except for the 9 turnovers in the first compared to the Rags 2 this game was pretty complete by the Flyers. We need the same tomorrow at MSG. Hopefully the Flyers have learned over the past 6 games and will carry the play the same way next game.

5. numbcracker2109 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

What was Boyle doing? Trying to set the tone for the next game by going after Adam Hall? How can one be so big yet so soft, I’ll never forget the way he cowered from Adam Mcquaid, and there are at least two or three guys from Philly he could’ve gone with and sent a real message but he didn’t want to be seen getting tooled on by that midget Rinaldo.

Everyone has a problem with Dorsett, I like Dorsett. Runs his mouth like a bandit but can scrap, unlike his lumbering linemate.

• flyerspsu - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Simmonds and coburn beat on him pretty bad already in previous fights and id expect the same from Luke schenn so he probably made a calculated decision between hall and Rinaldo of who would have less of a chance of embarrassing him

6. pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Simmonds and Mason were on it tonight for the Flyers. Mason was big in net, if he plays like how did tonight then they might win tomorrow.

Also does anyone have a link or video of the big brawl in the nosebleeds tonight at the game?

7. joey4id - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Like I wrote earlier. The gamers on the Flyers showed up whereas no one on the Rangers showed up. Which coach was able to distribute TOI across the board? I hope the Flyers kept enough juice in the tank for tomorrow. No doubt the Rangers didn’t empty their tanks. More gamers will shine tomorrow, and some will be branded as chokers. Mr. Nash…. Mr. St. Louis, Mr. Hank, you guys are on the hot seat. With big money comes great responsibility. Show up!

• joey4id - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:35 PM

BTW, not that I blame Lundqvist. Except for Gustafsson’s goal. He should have come out to play the puck.

• joey4id - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Others that need to play much much better are McDonagh and Girardi.

• maalea - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I think the quick turnaround hurts both McDonagh and Girardi. They could use the healing time.

Girardi has to be nursing his right shoulder after that Giroux block. I think it helped cause the Schenn turnover on the 2nd goal. It looked like he was protecting it from being slammed into the boards and Schenn picked his pocket,

8. phillysports1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Overall great series so far. Bring on game7

9. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM

That was painful to watch. It was hardly a game.

10. 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Mason vs Lundqvist in a game seven? Lundqvist had a great game seven record. Mason has never won any playoff game until this year. Flyers have to take it to the rangers. No turnovers. No penalties. Play aggressive and draw penalties. Rangers are gonna play a tight defensive game. It should be a 2-1 game. First goal may be the big one. They have to crack Lundqvist early.

GO Philly! Major underdogs. No offense, but the rangers are the better team by every degree. But anything can happen in a game seven.

• endusersolutions2013 - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:59 AM

This has been career redemption for Mason. His save % was an improvement during the regular season (.917). And he’s really stepped up in the playoffs – .939 save% and 1.95 GAA – facing a top 16 team.

Question – does he had enough gas in his tank for t-row? Not a fan of either team, but one can admire someone really stepping it up.

11. President Charles Logan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM

It went as i predicted , as tomorrow night will .. rags will win

• laxman1944 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Thank you ……..Thank you……….Oh Mr.President.

Everybody was terribly worried of the impending score for the coming match…..

Pass the potatoes

12. crazemastercraze - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Just hand the cup over to Philadelphia already, their fans are deluded enough now to think they could beat anyone in the west. Just put us logical folks out of our misery for gods sakes!!!!

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM

What are you talking about? Where anywhere does anyone say we’re winning the Cup? Everyone who regularly watches NHL hockey knows that Boston has the best chance of any East team to win it all. However, when the Flyers play like this they can beat good teams. They did it all year.

Flyers fans are no more deluded than Pens fans like you.

• mangoman1966 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Not all.of us deluded. Unless pens learn how to close out a game we have no chance for a cup.the pens fell.into some bad habits down the stretch..if they play like they are capable of they have a chance..got a strange feeling Montreal.is going to beat Boston.

• crazemastercraze - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Thanks for proving my point. Not a pens fan by a long country mile.

Again: delusional

• phillyphanatic77 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Oh well my mistake, you always comment on Flyers/Pens pages. Still that in no way proves your point. A minor misread on my part doesn’t relate at all your delusional idea that Flyers fans believe we’re winning a Cup. That’s the ultimate goal but we know we’re not the best team in the East. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

• laxman1944 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:43 AM

WTF are you talking about Troll??

• petersteelewannabe - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Philly DID have a winning record against the West this year but who is talking Cup here anyway…other than you? You must be scared of the prospect of facing Philly.

13. domdogsbk85 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Heres to hoping philly shot there load in this one tonight.Lets go Rangers

14. phillyphanatic77 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Once again Mason was awesome. He’s been great this series, even game 5 where the team’s poor play made his night irrelevant. So far he’s outplayed Lundqvist in two of three games. That’s impressive. Coming in everyone believed the Rangers had a huge advantage in net but I think Mason has shown he’s a legitimate #1 who can steal big games. And he’s certainly a big upgrade over Emery.

Great effort. Pumped it’s back to back games… I hated the longer breaks earlier in the series. Now we gotta bring the same play to game 7!

15. maalea - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:18 PM

SWEET, just F’N sweet

16. toiletclown - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Go on youtube and look at that display that the rotten scum of Philly displayed in the stands. Come on Ranger fans do something about it tonight!!!

• psudu - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Actually, if you check it out at Deadspin, they say it was started by drunk Ranger fan who started flailing his arms around hitting people as security was trying to calm him down…but don’t let facts get in the way of your hatred of Philly fans…

• philafly - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I was about to post this exact comment. Well said.

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I was as a Flyers/Islanders game in Philly and the same thing almost happened. an islander fan was yelling literally AT the back of this Flyer fan’s head, trying to instigate (this was the one where the Isles broke their 20-some-game losing streak against the Flyers). it ALMOST ended in fisticuffs, but the usher ended it instead. eventually, the Isles fan was moved elsewhere, where he proceeded to start a fight with ANOTHER Flyer fan. alright, Philly’s an intimidating place to be an opposing fan, but if you don’t start sh**, you probably won’t get into some sh**.

• laxman1944 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:46 AM

FLUSH

17. antmel30 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Was at the game last night. The rangers fans were out of control last night. Around the whole stadium. A lot of the were very drunk and asking for trouble provoking wveryrhing that came to them. There were plenty of rangers fans there who were friendly got along with people in section and laughed at the boo going up and down aisle. If you look for a fight your going to get one and these ranger fans were clearly looking for fight.

• toiletclown - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Scum bags always put the blame elsewhere

• laxman1944 - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM

FLUSH

FLUSH

FLUSH

FREAKING FLUSH………Why won’t you simply just go away?

18. iwt5007 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I can only imagine how sour Penguins fans must feel as the Flyers inch one game closer to the next round. I went to PSU and met a good amount of Pens fans during my time. I texted a few just to see how they felt and 3 out of 5 of them sent me a NYR logo back. Pittsburgh does not want to see Philly next round, while Philly fans seems to be licking their chops. I bet the NHL front office has dollar signs in their eyes for another “Battle of PA”. This Game 7 tonight is going to be huge, may the team who wants to kick the living $h!t out of Pittsburgh the most next round win.

19. patshal - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM

What a game! Go Flyers. I need you to win. I have you losing to my team, the Bruins in the conference finals. If you lose, my bracket is messed up.

20. patshal - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I have the same scenario, despite being a Flyers fan.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches