Apr 29, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
To hear Doug Armstrong explain it, the Blues’ starting goalie next season might be a guy that didn’t play a single minute this year.
Jake Allen, the 23-year-old prospect who played exclusively in AHL Chicago this season, will be one of the two goalies St. Louis carries next season — and apparently has a legit shot at being the No. 1.
“Jake Allen’s partner is going to have to hold Jake Allen out,” Armstrong said, per the Belleville News-Democrat. “He’s earned the right — he will be one of the two. Who his partner will be will be discussed at the appropriate time, and that will be over the next few weeks.”
In-house options for Allen’s partner are Ryan Miller and Brian Elliott, both pending UFAs. Here’s what Armstrong said about the possibility of re-signing Miller, his big acquisition at the trade deadline:
Armstrong on Ryan Miller (1/2): “It’s a two way street with Ryan right now. He has opportunities.” #stlblues
— Lou Korac (@lkorac10) April 29, 2014
More Armstrong on Miller: “(I want to) see where he thinks we’re at, see if he even has any interest in being a St. Louis Blue.” #stlblues
— Lou Korac (@lkorac10) April 29, 2014
Armstrong’s right in that Miller does have opportunities. The Capitals and Islanders don’t have a bonafide No. 1 goalie; Pittsburgh is one Marc-Andre Fleury meltdown away from looking for another option in net and, if Miller wants to be in California as speculation has suggested, San Jose now has questions in goal after Antti Niemi was parked in Game 6 in favor of Alex Stalock.
It’ll be curious to hear if Armstrong’s comments will affect Miller’s decision to stay in St. Louis. It’s no secret the organization is very high on Allen — he was the 34th overall pick in 2008, made the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2013 and captured the Aldege “Baz” Bastien Award this year as the American League’s top goalie — but he has a pretty small NHL resume, consisting of exactly 15 games.
Are the Blues, a team built to win now, really willing to hand the goalie reins to such an inexperienced guy? Or are Armstrong’s comments just posturing, trying to show Miller the Blues aren’t totally dependent on his return?
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)