Apr 29, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
To hear Doug Armstrong explain it, the Blues’ starting goalie next season might be a guy that didn’t play a single minute this year.
Jake Allen, the 23-year-old prospect who played exclusively in AHL Chicago this season, will be one of the two goalies St. Louis carries next season — and apparently has a legit shot at being the No. 1.
“Jake Allen’s partner is going to have to hold Jake Allen out,” Armstrong said, per the Belleville News-Democrat. “He’s earned the right — he will be one of the two. Who his partner will be will be discussed at the appropriate time, and that will be over the next few weeks.”
In-house options for Allen’s partner are Ryan Miller and Brian Elliott, both pending UFAs. Here’s what Armstrong said about the possibility of re-signing Miller, his big acquisition at the trade deadline:
Armstrong on Ryan Miller (1/2): “It’s a two way street with Ryan right now. He has opportunities.” #stlblues
— Lou Korac (@lkorac10) April 29, 2014
More Armstrong on Miller: “(I want to) see where he thinks we’re at, see if he even has any interest in being a St. Louis Blue.” #stlblues
— Lou Korac (@lkorac10) April 29, 2014
Armstrong’s right in that Miller does have opportunities. The Capitals and Islanders don’t have a bonafide No. 1 goalie; Pittsburgh is one Marc-Andre Fleury meltdown away from looking for another option in net and, if Miller wants to be in California as speculation has suggested, San Jose now has questions in goal after Antti Niemi was parked in Game 6 in favor of Alex Stalock.
It’ll be curious to hear if Armstrong’s comments will affect Miller’s decision to stay in St. Louis. It’s no secret the organization is very high on Allen — he was the 34th overall pick in 2008, made the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2013 and captured the Aldege “Baz” Bastien Award this year as the American League’s top goalie — but he has a pretty small NHL resume, consisting of exactly 15 games.
Are the Blues, a team built to win now, really willing to hand the goalie reins to such an inexperienced guy? Or are Armstrong’s comments just posturing, trying to show Miller the Blues aren’t totally dependent on his return?
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The Blues acquired him from Toronto.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
Those prospects could get longer looks if Ryan Johansen misses the preseason.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)