Apr 29, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
From CSN Philly:
Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds says the NBA needs to force Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling to sell his club after the alleged racist remarks he uttered recently.
A native of Ontario, Simmonds is one of two black players on the Flyers. The other is goalie Ray Emery.
“Make him sell the team, get him out of there,” Simmonds said. “Obviously, basketball is predominantly a black sport. When you have an owner voicing his opinion that way. The coach [Doc Rivers] is black, probably a lot of people in management.
“I’ve heard he’s had people in management quit because of his opinions. Stuff like that. It’s really unfortunate. We live in a world like today where there should be no color. You judge a person by their inside and not by the way they look, their appearance. It just sucks the way it is right now.”
For more on the Donald Sterling story, head on over to ProBasketballTalk. We’re not going to pretend there’s no racism in hockey — that would be insulting to all the players, from the amateur levels to the pros, who’ve been exposed to prejudice while “playing a predominantly white sport” — but Sterling is the NBA’s problem, not the NHL’s, and we’ve got a pretty exciting first round of the playoffs to keep us busy, thanks.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)