Flyers’ Simmonds thinks NBA should force Sterling to sell Clippers

Apr 29, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT

Wayne Simmonds Getty Images

From CSN Philly:

Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds says the NBA needs to force Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling to sell his club after the alleged racist remarks he uttered recently.

A native of Ontario, Simmonds is one of two black players on the Flyers. The other is goalie Ray Emery.

“Make him sell the team, get him out of there,” Simmonds said. “Obviously, basketball is predominantly a black sport. When you have an owner voicing his opinion that way. The coach [Doc Rivers] is black, probably a lot of people in management.

“I’ve heard he’s had people in management quit because of his opinions. Stuff like that. It’s really unfortunate. We live in a world like today where there should be no color. You judge a person by their inside and not by the way they look, their appearance. It just sucks the way it is right now.”

109 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Seriously, CSN Philly? Seriously?

2. steelhammer92 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:11 PM

He’s 100% right.. But why are the reporters even asking him about this? He’s not from LA, he has zero ties to Sterling or the Clippers, and above all; he plays in the NHL, not the NBA. Typical reporter.. Just looking for some quotes to publish and generate views since racism is such a hot button topic.

• nj666 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I’m pretty sure he used to play in that same building.

3. sjsharks66 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Not trying to say anything weird, but there is a reason they asked Simmonds about this. He has had a couple problems with racism even in the NHL. It makes sense that they ask him but it’s also just poor journalism. On the day when his team faces elimination, this is the question you choose?

On the topic of selling the Clippers? Why would he sell them? People are still going to go to games, players will still play and coaches will still coach. He will continue making money no matter how much of a racist bastard he is. It’s just the way this world works and it’s really sad.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM

“On the topic of selling the Clippers? Why would he sell them? People are still going to go to games, players will still play and coaches will still coach. He will continue making money no matter how much of a racist bastard he is. It’s just the way this world works and it’s really sad”

That is Sterling’s line of thinking as well. “That’s just the way the world works”

Ok. Let me off this planet now.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM

“People are still going to go to games”

I have a feeling that if he stayed the owner, that would quickly change. Hell, the Clippers were barely out of the muck as it were.

• 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

The only thing that’ll keep fans out is losing.

• sjsharks66 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM

To be honest I don’t pay attention to basketball. My assumption was made based off of a typical fan base. You are a fan because of the city and players. Never heard a sports fan say, ” man! our owner is like the best in the league!” lol

I would be disgusted if the Sharks owner said what the Clippers did. I would not boycott games just because that. It’s not fair for the players.

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM

yeah but it’s a league with primarily black players and I’d assume primarily black fans too. YOU wouldn’t, but a typical basketball fanbase probably would… ESPECIALLY when there’s another team in town.

4. imnotyourbuddyguy - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Banned for life

5. hockey412 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM

For the most part in hockey you hate people because of the logo they wear, not the color of their skin. And it’s better that way.

What an ugly situation. I do wish that reporters would quit soliciting these comments from people just because they are black, though. Kind of an odd irony there. But I’d have to agree with Simmonds.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Don’t pretend racism doesn’t exist in hockey. That’s naive.

• 19to77 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM

The key words are “for the most part.” No-one’s going to pretend there isn’t racism in hockey. Well, hopefully, anyway. But he’s got a point – there’s far more hate for the logo on your chest than the colour of your skin in hockey. Team rivalries run far deeper than racist hatred in this game, and I love it for that. We’re talking about an NBA team owner who, in spite of basically his entire organization being African-American, hates black people. I’m proud to say the NHL holds its head higher than that. I know, it’s got problems. We all have to admit it isn’t perfect. But the NHL is better than this hypocritical, shameless prick at least.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Not sure if serious. Comparing hatred in sports to hatred towards other humans because of their race. Not sure if you have experienced the real world not yet. Not sure if many folks posting on here have experienced the real world.

• hockey412 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I’m not, and I didn’t – your point doesn’t make mine any less true – it was just kind of a side point, really. Racism exists everywhere – not just from white to black, but from black to white, asian to indian, etc. It’s a cancer, and it’s good to see the league (NBA) handled it as such.

• matt14gg - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:51 PM

“storminator” – Racism exists everywhere and it always will… it’s just the degree to which it affects society that can be reduced. It has been reduced and it will continue to be that way, but it’s never going away. What is naive is the idea that you think it’s important to point out the obvious and call out this imaginary group of people who is pretending “racism doesn’t exist in hockey”. Who was pretending it didn’t exist?

• 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM

There’s racism in soccer too.

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM

It shouldn’t exist, though. If you agree to “that’s the way it is”, then that is Sterling’s line of thinking.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Sorry, I might have vented some of my frustration on some of you guys. Many of you mean well. I’m just so sick of racism and bigotry in general.

• 19to77 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:28 PM

No worries. I think I get where you’re coming from. All I was trying to say is that racist crap like this seems (thankfully) less prominent in the NHL than other major sports leagues. Not gone by any means, but less. Take the victories where you can, you know?

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I think I’ve been stricken with the same ailment as you. And am I correct in assuming that you live in Carolina? As a Virginia Beach resident, I’m surrounded by these morons every day. I can’t get away from it. it’s been like a thorn under my fingernail lately.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:31 PM

by these morons, I mean people like Sterling… not the people I’m replying to on here.

• hockey412 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM

No worries ‘tal, storminator

6. pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:19 PM

For once I agree with him. Sterlings an ass for what he said.

• mangoman1966 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Sterling has been an ass for years. It finally caught up to him.

7. hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:19 PM

What he said was obviously vile and wrong but forcing a owner to sell because you don’t like what he has to say is a very dangerous road to go down and the other owners know that which is why they will not go along with it.

Sterling is clearly a piece of garbage but I’m concerned no one is reporting on the fact that the gf has a pending lawsuit against her for embezzling funds and illegally recorded a private conversation and released it in such a vindictive way.

With several lawsuits already settled against Sterling, no one in the NBA is surprised with the statements he made so I don’t like that they’re now pretending they’re shocked.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Haha of course once I type this it comes out that the NBA is going to try and force the sale of the team. Wow, I’m shocked that other owners would go for this.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:25 PM

why? this was majorly detrimental to the game of basketball. I think all 29 of them (or however many) would welcome the idea.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM

There’s an argument that other owners don’t want to create a precedent where they say something stupid and have to sell their team.

I agree with Silver’s ruling though, and trust that other owners don’t have to worry about the precedent unless they go to extremes.

Baseball did it once, and no owner has ever been threatened again. Not even Loria

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Just because it really does set a dangerous precedent that private opinions, regardless or how despicable, are grounds for forcing a sale because they are unpopular.

• guitarhunterdude - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM

This isn’t the first idiotic thing Sterling has done. He’s the worst owner in pro sports; it wouldn’t surprise me if the other owners wanted him gone.

• FoozieGrooler - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM

imnotyourbuddyguy – “..other owners don’t want to create a precedent where they say something stupid and have to sell their team…”

Then the trick there is to not say anything stupid.
        Personal responsibility and all that…
        The First Amendment protects his right to be an a-hole, but then he shouldn’t complain when people call him an a-hole. There are no protections under the Constitution against the consequences of free speech…

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Calling someone a name and forcing them to sell a billion dollar business are completely different things.

• c9castine - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM

i agree buddy. here is the most important part in all of this, a quote from Simmonds “When you have an owner voicing his opinion that way…”

thats it. case over. this guy might be a big POS, but he voiced an opinion. that is EVERYTHING this country is based on. (not to mention, are we not entitled to provate conversation anymore?)

you cant use freedom of speech only when its convenient for you. you can support free speech to say “equality for all” if your going to turn around and criminalize a person for saying “power to the white man”. you follow?

its hypocrisy at its most defined state and like hockeyflow said this whole situation is likely going NOWHERE.

fine him? for what? a private conversation that somebody leaked? ban him? he owns the damn team. force him to sell? what is this russia? thats not how this country works.

Sterling is probably going to sell the team, profit hugely, and walk away laughing to his grave at everybody.

glad to see so much support for hockeyflow’s comments, because like i said this guy might be a big pile of garbage, but this is not how this country works and its even more concerning that this is whats going on than it is that some old rich white guy doesnt like black people.

8. dilligaf101 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Hahaha, go sterling! They should make him buy the whole NBA!

9. killerpgh - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Yet Simmonds own head coach is a racist and was suspended for using a racial slur against Peter Worrell. Does he think the Berube should be fired?

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM

“He apologized and said the way it was said was not in the context that it was meant,” Worrell said. “He sounded very sincere and I take him for his word and respect him for that. For me, it’s a dead issue.”

Calling someone a “racist” shouldn’t be done so lightly. Did Berube cross a line? You betcha. Is he a racist? How do you know what is in that man’s heart?

• killerpgh - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Q: How do I know what is in a man’s heart?
        A: By what came out of his mouth. His words make him a racist.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM

You must be “court of public opinion”-guy. I see you, sir.

• killerpgh - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM

You must be “court of public opinion”-guy. I see you, sir.
        ——————————————————————–

What does that even mean?

So if you can’t tell someone is racist by what they say than how to you tell if someone is a racist? As far as I know not every racist were a white sheet. But according to you a Man expressing his views through words doesn’t mean anything.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM

You have to judge each situation as they are. With that said, you or I don’t know Craig Berube. I’ve never broken bread with the man. With that said, I’m sure Berube has had to deal with racism towards himself as well. I’m going to give the man the benefit of the doubt. Now, if you want to talk about John Vanbiesbrouck, I have a different opinion there.

• hockey412 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM

No offense stormy but you were kind of ‘court of public opinion-ing’ it up earlier in the post also.

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I can’t be “public opinion guy” when in my 22 years of falling this game I’ve dealt with my share of racist fans. Hockey fans are the worst because you are so ignorant to anything that isn’t white. Americans and Canadians alike.

This Donald Sterling issue has brought out the folks who just want to have a say on the issue but not the folks who want to stand up for real racism. The Donald Sterling comments are non-sense: he doesn’t want his girl to be seen with black guys and his viewpoints on “that’s just the way it is/they treat black folks like dogs in Israel” doesn’t even scratch the surface towards real racism. Nothing has to be “that way”. Not sure why some of you don’t understand why this is frustrating as hell for me and other folks of any one who isn’t white.

10. ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM

that was at killerpgh, sorry.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:56 PM

LOL, I didn’t see this response before I copy/pasted the same comments from the article you must have copied them from. My bad.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:01 PM

google, bringing us all together. lol. np man.

11. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Hey Wayne, YOU GOT OTHER ISSUES TO WORRY ABOUT NOW!!!!!

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM

He heard you and handled that issue last night, didn’t he?

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Hey Wayne, YOU GOT OTHER ISSUES TO WORRY ABOUT NOW!!!!!

See if it works again

12. gbart22 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM

For the umpteenth time you can’t force a privately owned company to sell or share anything with the public. The nba and all major sports have ways of dealing with problem owners such as suspensions and bans but again you can’t force them to sell. The family owns the team and if they wish to continue to own the team they have that right as it’s theirs and if the nba tried to force his hand to sell if I were sterling I’d drag their asses to court where I would win and hammer them in the process. Now they can quietly encourage him to sell by getting bidders to over pay for the product and that might persuade the family to let go but they can simply appoint a new head of the franchise from within the family and continue on.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM

The pro sports franchises are quite different than other corporations and are not defined by regular franchise rules.

They are provided all sorts of exceptions to anti-trust laws and in the end this team is worth nearly $1 billion dollars and you can guarantee his team of lawyers will drag this on for a very long time.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM

they don’t have to allow his organization a spot in their league. what is a team without a league worth? answer: its assets. sell now for 500+mil, or liquidate later? you know what choice the businessman will make.

• thailer35 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:06 PM

There actualy also is language in the consitituiton (for NBA owners, not the US) that says certain behavior in conducting business can allow for the commisioner to begin the process of eliminating the franchise altogether.

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

NBA by-laws says you are wrong.

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Sorry, that comment was for gbart22.

13. 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Nobody says a word when Jay-Z supports racism.? Why?

You can’t pick and choose what’s acceptable racism.

Read it for yourselves.

Jay-Z is representing athletes.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM

until he answers that question that they asked him in that article, it’s a non-story. as soon as he says it clearly, we’ll talk about it. what are you REALLY griping about 950003? hypocrisy? or the fact that the guy getting f’ed over here was white? I have a feeling you wouldn’t bring up a borderline white racist if we WERE talking about JayZ. you’d have a lot to say then.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM

here’s a nice little comparison. the freemasons are known to be a racist, or at least segregationist, bunch. should anybody with that label on their license plate instantly be labeled a racist? you’ll say no, because they’re mostly white guys (as would I, for other reasons). but in a case like this that it’s a black group, you’re chomping at the bit.

• 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Are you drunk?

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Do you have a real response?

• starwalker7 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Cups you need to take a media-literacy course because that article clearly took advantage of your ignorance. In fairness the article is very carefully written. The author is careful not to accuse Jay-Z of being racist (defamation), and nevertheless is able to get inattentive readers to arrive at that conclusion. How? The author knows that the target audience does not know anything about the Five Percenters, and so he is able to depict the entire group as radical racists even though that is not the case. What the author did is equivalent to saying that all people who vote for the Republican Party are racists because some people who vote for the party are racist. The key in this article is that it says that Jay-Z struggled to answer what the medallion symbolized to him rather than providing the quote of his response. The author then simply sprinkled extremist quotes by others, and voilà, those who want to believe Jay-Z is racist now believe that their opinion is substantiated. Even though at the end the author concedes that Jay-Z is not a member of the group. And you wonder why it is a “non-story.”

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM

It’s almost more simple than that even. the URL starts with nypost.com. that should maybe tip you off right there that you’ll be reading some bullsh**.

• 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM

According to your logic, If you wore a Swastika to a game, is it okay if you’re not affiliated with the Nazi’s? Five Percenters are an anti-white hate group by all standards of its doctrine. Jay-Z publicly endorsed it by bolstering its symbol in public.

That’s why I said “Either there is an outcry for “racism” all together, or don’t say anything at all.” My gripe is against the media. They shouldn’t pick and choose.

14. puckmepuckyou - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Welcome to America. As vile and rude as the comments are they are his opinion and his speech is protected by the Constitution. Sad as it is it was His rights that were violated by taping a conversation without his knowledge. I am in no way defending this idiotic man but free speech refers to all not some and think the fans who buy the tickets are the ones who can punish him most.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM

LOL, folks and your “Constitution” arguments. I love it when the Constitution vaults all kinds of common sense. Folks are quick to bring up the Constitution to forgive bull crap but ignores all kinds of other ills in this world. Always comical.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM

The Constitutional protections he’s entitled to have not been violated; the protections have nothing to do with employer/franchisee agreements.

What you’re probably going for is that the spirit of free speech transcends governmental intrusions and should be applied to most facets of life.

15. joey4id - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Good riddance! Great job by Adam Silver and team.

“But why are the reporters even asking him [Wayne Simmonds] about this? He’s not from LA, he has zero ties to Sterling or the Clippers, and above all; he plays in the NHL, not the NBA.”

Simple answer, racism knows no boundaries, and is very present in our daily lives. Putting our heads in the sand is no longer an option regardless of where we are, who we work for, or the color of our skin. Racism is despicable and should not be tolerated. Sterling is but a small token of the much bigger problem of society. Go Adam Silver!

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM

“Simple answer, racism knows no boundaries, and is very present in our daily lives.”

then why would they seek out Simmonds and ask HIS personal opinion? if that were the case, it’d be just as valid to turn to the guy next to you, ask his opinion, and print that. I don’t get why they asked Simmonds other than the fact that he’s a black athlete.

ON GAME DAY NO LESS! (just a joke)

• joey4id - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Why not ask Simmonds? He is a Black Canadian in the public eye before being a black athlete playing in the NHL. He and his ancestors have suffered from racism more than the common white person ever will in a life time. Press also asked Obama what he thought about Sterling’s comments. “He’s not from LA, he has zero ties to Sterling or the Clippers”

It’s one of those days when the black race was once again the target of hatred comments. It’s a time when every human being should be appalled, and non-more so than blacks who have been fighting for equality since the 18th and 19th centuries.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:45 PM

ok, I get it. your hopper is all loaded up with rhetoric right now, rightly so. but none of this says anything about why we care what this particular person’s idea of retribution is. just because we aren’t black doesn’t mean we weren’t appalled (some of us) or that we have less insight on how to handle it than a black guy would. I just don’t understand the individual opinion pieces about this that are all over the place. it’s “ask a black guy” week on ESPN. If ANYTHING is urging the “court of public opinion” to be more prominent, it’s opinion pieces like this.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Probably because it’s the story of the week now and Simmonds is black. If some owner said they hated all Slovakians over 6’7″, wouldn’t you expect Chara to be asked about it?

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM

lmao that last line got me.

but yeah, there isn’t a whole league full of 6’7″ Slovakians to ask before Chara. there’s millions of black people. Simmonds is one of them, sure, but I don’t really care what anybody outside of the Clippers organization thinks should happen.

but I’m starting to think this was just a page-visit-grab by PHT. gettin’ in on the action. they got me again!

16. 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM

By the way, having racist views is not against the law in this country. Get used to it.

• storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Your tolerant soul. Let’s excuse rapists, animal killers, and Molson Moose Piss while we are at it.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM

You’re talking about acts, not words.

• 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM

You can’t compare words spoken in the privacy of ones home, to a violent crime and HORRIBLE beer. Those are actual crimes.

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Ok, acts:

-Forcing folks onto reservations.
        -Slavery. (i.e., “human trafficking” for you PC folks)
        -Putting Americans of internment camps.

Actually, those weren’t crimes. Nevermind, you win.

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I can’t believe you people are serious. Ignorant, because you probably have never dealt with real racism. What the hell are they teaching in schools nowadays?

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:06 PM

yes, but using them to discriminate as an employer is. and I’m pretty sure the NBA doesn’t want to stand near that cliff. the solution was getting him out of the league. there’s no pressed charges, so idk why you’re talking about the law.

17. storminator16 - Apr 29, 2014 at 2:58 PM

White folks are silly.

• sjsharks66 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM

You do understand this is racist, right?

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:39 AM

All depends on context.

18. toiletclown - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Who cares what Loomis Simmonds thinks.

• jason9696 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Loomis?

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM

don’t worry, it’s not racist. toiletclown just has really dated references.

19. whammy71 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Flyers suck! Go Rangers!

20. antkowiak666 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Such thin skin these people have……you’re really this upset because someone doesn’t like you?!
    If this was a black owner stating these words about whites,you would not have heard anything of it.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM

lol ^^^ this comment.

you know they’re his EMPLOYEES, correct?

• antkowiak666 - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM

as long as I was making millions of dollars,I would be to busy enjoying my life with my family and friends to care what my employer thought of me.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I don’t disagree with the general basis of your statement but I do think if you find out you’re employer finds you and your family less than human you may be a tad disturbed by it.

• 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM

“you know they’re his EMPLOYEES, correct?”

So if its a black owner they’re NOT his EMPLOYEES?

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM

LOL, are you serious, bro?

21. flyerincowtown - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Why not ask Simons about this topic? He is a Black Canadian who just happened to play for a few years in the same damn building as Sterlings Clippers. I think he is the number one candidate in the NHL to ask an opinion on this. Can’t believe that no one in this forum even clued into these obvious connections!

22. matt14gg - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Look at Wayne Simmonds calling the shot just before it happened.

23. matt14gg - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:01 PM

People may not be aware, but there are a lot of black players (some African American, some African Canadien, but also some of other descent) in the NHL. I think integration into the NHL of ALL races and ethnicities has been very successful, if a bit under the radar. It’s one of the great things about the league. Especially for a sport which suffers a bit from regionalization. Let’s face it, no matter how hard we try it’s going to be very difficult to develop hockey in some parts of the world where economics and climate issues don’t lend themselves to selling the sport on a large scale. I for one am very encouraged with the progress, while often under the radar, the NHL (and hockey as a whole) has made.

24. thesportsjudge - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM

If the NBA forces Sterling to sell, he will laugh his a$$ all the way to and from the bank.

• 950003cups - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:51 PM

He’ll likely cry harder on his way to the IRS. The team can be sold for $800,000,000 MORE than he originally paid. He’ll get taxed a lot on the profit. There are no loopholes for that kind of sale. He can claim certain costs of business, but not too much. He’s much better off hiding the profits of the team year to year than selling it and losing the profits and all that tax money from his profit.

25. joey4id - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Side note for all who followed the NHL lockout. Adam Silver, current commissioner of the NBA, is the son of a law partner at Proskauer Rose. Yes. Proskauer Rose. The same law firm where ex NBA commish and current NHL commish once worked, and the same law firm that represented the NHL during the lockout. All one big happy family.

• flash8910 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Typo…instead of happy, you meant crappy.

26. President Charles Logan - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I just dont like black folks., never have, never will … they think we owe them the world , so tired of it.

• storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:38 AM

YOU owe us, Native Americans, Inuits, and everyone else your ancestors have disgraced. Many of us can’t trace our lineage because of YOU. Thanks.

YOU owe Hispanics and Latinos for this new age veiled bigotry that somehow everyone (blacks included) are getting away with.

• President Charles Logan - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM

i owe you 10 bucks for mowing my lawn if your hispanic

27. flash8910 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM

What’s next Snider should sell the team because he is too old.

28. cutelittleguy02 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I think the man is old and don t know what he said after those medicaments you know, and he get busted by his GF. Your best enemy is someone closed to you. I think it s right. I wonder why a billionaire old man disputes with his GF, that s odd. There is something behind that story. Anyway, the man get punished. Everybody seems happy after. Happy ending for everyone

29. henryjones20 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM

considering their were over 90 comments,I’m really surprised most of the ppl were not ignorant trailer trash.I respect most of the comments minus a few stupid ones(I’m looking at you charles logan) most of the childish kids or ignorant stay on PFT.kinda refreshing even though separate views.well done guys

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Yea, we’re hockey fans haha.

30. storminator16 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM

“For more on the Donald Sterling story, head on over to ProBasketballTalk. We’re not going to pretend there’s no racism in hockey — that would be insulting to all the players, from the amateur levels to the pros, who’ve been exposed to prejudice while “playing a predominantly white sport” — but Sterling is the NBA’s problem, not the NHL’s, and we’ve got a pretty exciting first round of the playoffs to keep us busy, thanks.”

The hockey way: avoid discussions of racism at all cost. The one thing I can count on from hockey folks. No, this is everyone’s problem. It’s the 21st freaking century. We ALL need to deal with it.

31. patrickla818 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM

So if Sterling had said “don’t bring Jews or Pollocks or Mexicans to my games” you think this would be much of a story?

Bruins faithful should be worried

Top 10 NHL Player Searches