Apr 29, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
From CSN Philly:
Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds says the NBA needs to force Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling to sell his club after the alleged racist remarks he uttered recently.
A native of Ontario, Simmonds is one of two black players on the Flyers. The other is goalie Ray Emery.
“Make him sell the team, get him out of there,” Simmonds said. “Obviously, basketball is predominantly a black sport. When you have an owner voicing his opinion that way. The coach [Doc Rivers] is black, probably a lot of people in management.
“I’ve heard he’s had people in management quit because of his opinions. Stuff like that. It’s really unfortunate. We live in a world like today where there should be no color. You judge a person by their inside and not by the way they look, their appearance. It just sucks the way it is right now.”
For more on the Donald Sterling story, head on over to ProBasketballTalk. We’re not going to pretend there’s no racism in hockey — that would be insulting to all the players, from the amateur levels to the pros, who’ve been exposed to prejudice while “playing a predominantly white sport” — but Sterling is the NBA’s problem, not the NHL’s, and we’ve got a pretty exciting first round of the playoffs to keep us busy, thanks.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)