Apr 29, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
Whether the Philadelphia Flyers keep going or not after Game 6 on Tuesday, it looks like they’ll be doing so without defenseman Nicklas Grossmann. The hard-hitting defenseman underwent surgery to repair tendon damage in his right ankle on Tuesday and will miss 8-10 weeks.
That timetable essentially ends the 29-year-old’s season barring a remarkable recovery late in what would need to be a deep playoff run for the Flyers.
The big Swede was injured thanks to this awkward fall in Game 4 against the New York Rangers:
Philly originally replaced Grossmann with an even larger defenseman in Hal Gill, but now it looks like Erik Gustafsson will play in his first 2014 postseason game tonight in Gill’s place.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)