Flyer flip: Gill out, Gustafsson to make series debut

Apr 29, 2014, 3:05 PM EST

ErikGustafsson Getty Images

Hal Gill‘s Game 5 cameo won’t extend to Game 6, as the Flyers have announced Erik Gustafsson will draw into the lineup tonight to take on the Rangers at Wells Fargo.

Gustafsson, who appeared in 31 regular season contests, hasn’t played at all this postseason (his last game was on Apr. 13), but is being called upon after Gill looked rusty in Sunday’s 4-2 loss. The 39-year-old was minus-2 in just over 12 minutes of ice time and looked a step slow, something Flyers head coach Craig Berube alluded to in explaining why Gustafsson was drawing in.

“I like his speed,” Berube said, per Philly.com. “He’s a quick player getting up ice. Just looking at that aspect of it.”

The Flyers have been forced to dig into their defensive depth with Nicklas Grossmann sidelined since Game 4 of the series. The hope is that Gustafsson can replicate the success he had during the 2012 playoffs, especially in an series-clinching win over Pittsburgh, when he scored a goal and finished plus-3 in over 22 minutes of ice time.

1. toiletclown - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Nothing like swapping a turd for turd. Get em Philthy hahaha

• mebailey700 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Don’t you ever get tired of being an anonymous troll?

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM

don’t worry, toiletclown is only a hockey fan between the dates in which the Penguins secure a spot and when they get knocked out. he’ll disappear when the Pens go down and reemerge the next time they make playoffs. what a hockey fan.

• mebailey700 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Well that is good to hear. I have only recently discovered this site and already want to punch myself in the face whenever this asshat comments.

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM

you aren’t the only one. I’m not saying this just because I hate the toiletclown character, but he’s literally never given ONE PIECE of legit “Hockey Talk.” frankly, he’s a disgrace to what is usually a great site for comment sections. which is why I also believe he’s the alternate handle of a regular commenter here. he’s perusing the comment sections FAR too often to never actually say anything of substance.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:41 PM

The turd expert has spoken. This is hockey412’s alter ego.

• laxman1944 - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Nothing like a good old fashioned

FLUSH

2. whammy71 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Flyers suck! Go Rangers!

• maalea - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM

How long does it take to sign out, and sign into you other account?

About 5 minutes, after middle school lets out.

• mebailey700 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:51 PM

haha this might be the funniest comment I have seen on this site.

• whammy71 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Sorry – 1 account sucker. I’m not smart enough to have more than 1 account!

• 19to77 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM

And that pretty much says it all, doesn’t it?

• laxman1944 - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Mom is going to be home soon…….have you cleaned your room boy??

3. maalea - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Better late than never, I just hope it’s not too late,

• ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I have a feeling Gus would have finished that goal Gill almost scored. Gill looked like a deer in headlights when he got that puck. I like watching Gus lately, and I think he’s severely underrated by the Flyers. They need to give him some more time with the big team next season.

• maalea - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I also would like to see Hartnell moved down with Coots and Read. That pair helped Hartnell get on track early in the season. Raffl or Akeson with Jake and G.

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM

you almost called that. Hartnell on with Simmonds/Schenn instead, but Raffl in his spot. I agree with you though (if this is what you were implying), I think they should have put Akeson up on the 2nd line to give the spot to Hartnell. I know they don’t have a lot of games together, but I don’t really like the Read/Akeson winged line. They’re too similar, yet Read still finds himself making breaks into the zone alone (they really gotta do something about that. too many Read-on-entire-team drives). then again, maybe putting him on a line with guys he has ZERO games with would be a worse idea in the playoffs.

4. sjsharks66 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Flyers take this game.

5. stcrowe - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM

So, if you see Hal Gill on the ice tonight, it is most likely because he is still slowly coming off the ice from the last game.

6. puckmepuckyou - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

LMFAO just coming off the ice

7. iwt5007 - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Hal Gill I hope you enjoy one of your last meals in an NHL pressbox, better load up on those free cold cuts Gilly boy. Game 5 was just sad, I’m hoping Gus has a strong game.

8. blueshirtsfaithful - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Let’s Go Ranger!!!!!
    Philthy suckssssssssssđź‘Ž

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches