Apr 29, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
Tough season for bench bosses in Sunrise.
The Florida Panthers fired their second head coach of the season and third in the last three years on Tuesday, relieving Peter Horachek from interim duties after he took over from Kevin Dineen, who was fired a month into the campaign.
“Peter worked very diligently since taking over as interim head coach in November, but at this time we feel that a fresh approach and a new direction is needed behind our bench,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon said in a statement. “We will immediately begin an extensive search for a new and experienced coach for our franchise, who will guide the Panthers to future success.”
Horachek, who left his post with Florida’s AHL affiliate to take the Panthers gig, recorded a 26-36-4 mark over 66 games. While things started brightly for him — the Panthers went 10-8-1 following the Dineen dismissal — Tallon always remained non-committal about dropping Horachek’s interim tag, and the Panthers limped to a 6-14-1 record over their final 21 games of the year.
Horachek, 54, did make waves late in the season when he blasted ex-Panther Shawn Matthias, who went to Vancouver as part of the Roberto Luongo trade. Upon hearing Matthias’ complaints about his role in Florida, Horachek said the center needed to “get out of the victim role,” and “he went through four coaches, so nobody’s picking on him.”
That last quote is telling, as it gives insight into Florida’s coaching instability over the last few years. As mentioned above, the club has gone through three since 2011 — Horachek, Dineen and Peter DeBoer — and a fourth will soon be brought aboard, per Tallon.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)