Duchene plans to play in Game 7 despite not being 100 percent

Apr 29, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

You can probably say this about a lot of players at this time of year, but Colorado Avalanche star Matt Duchene won’t be at his physical best in Game 7 on Wednesday. Still, he told the Denver Post that he’ll be ready to go against the Minnesota Wild even with that wonky knee.

Duchene, 23, said that this is “one of the hardest injuries to come back from,” yet he also explains why he’s more prepared than ever to make a difference even if his elite speed is curtailed.

“Just to physically and mentally be confident (is difficult). The difference between this time and last time I did this injury is, my game has evolved to the point where I can do more than just use my speed now. I can think the game better, I see it better, I’m a better playmaker … I just want to bring that tomorrow night, and bring as much energy as I can.

“But it’s tough. It’s a mental battle. I’m not 100 percent …”

Duchene managed an assist in Game 6 against the Wild, although he didn’t register a shot on goal and his underlying stats were iffy. Still, even a Duchene at (whatever percent he’s at) could be a useful player for the Avalanche to have as they face tomorrow’s do-or-die challenge.

Latest Posts
  1. Malkin out day-to-day with ‘slight injury’

Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin AP

Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.

2. Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT

pens_flyers Getty Images

Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.

3. WATCH LIVE: Avalanche at Sharks

Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT

Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.

4. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

5. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

6. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

7. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

8. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

9. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

10. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

11. Hammond, Hudler, and Dubnyk are NHL’s three stars of the month

Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Nashville Predators Getty Images

Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?

12. Video: Kane urges patience, but ‘trying to heal as fast as I can’

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches