Apr 29, 2014, 8:25 PM EST
You can probably say this about a lot of players at this time of year, but Colorado Avalanche star Matt Duchene won’t be at his physical best in Game 7 on Wednesday. Still, he told the Denver Post that he’ll be ready to go against the Minnesota Wild even with that wonky knee.
Duchene, 23, said that this is “one of the hardest injuries to come back from,” yet he also explains why he’s more prepared than ever to make a difference even if his elite speed is curtailed.
“Just to physically and mentally be confident (is difficult). The difference between this time and last time I did this injury is, my game has evolved to the point where I can do more than just use my speed now. I can think the game better, I see it better, I’m a better playmaker … I just want to bring that tomorrow night, and bring as much energy as I can.
“But it’s tough. It’s a mental battle. I’m not 100 percent …”
Duchene managed an assist in Game 6 against the Wild, although he didn’t register a shot on goal and his underlying stats were iffy. Still, even a Duchene at (whatever percent he’s at) could be a useful player for the Avalanche to have as they face tomorrow’s do-or-die challenge.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)