Apr 29, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
You can probably say this about a lot of players at this time of year, but Colorado Avalanche star Matt Duchene won’t be at his physical best in Game 7 on Wednesday. Still, he told the Denver Post that he’ll be ready to go against the Minnesota Wild even with that wonky knee.
Duchene, 23, said that this is “one of the hardest injuries to come back from,” yet he also explains why he’s more prepared than ever to make a difference even if his elite speed is curtailed.
“Just to physically and mentally be confident (is difficult). The difference between this time and last time I did this injury is, my game has evolved to the point where I can do more than just use my speed now. I can think the game better, I see it better, I’m a better playmaker … I just want to bring that tomorrow night, and bring as much energy as I can.
“But it’s tough. It’s a mental battle. I’m not 100 percent …”
Duchene managed an assist in Game 6 against the Wild, although he didn’t register a shot on goal and his underlying stats were iffy. Still, even a Duchene at (whatever percent he’s at) could be a useful player for the Avalanche to have as they face tomorrow’s do-or-die challenge.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)