Bruins’ Julien says he ‘hates’ Montreal now that he’s in Boston

Apr 29, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v Boston Bruins - Game One Getty Images

Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien’s first head coaching gig came with the Montreal Canadiens, but being on the other end of that rivalry for seven seasons has made his allegiances pretty clear.

His quote to CSNNE.com could be used as bulletin board material if Habs head coach Michel Therrien is really reaching, even if it’s clear that Julien was having fun with the rivalry talk.

“I hated Boston when I was in Montreal, and I hate Montreal now that I’m in Boston,” Julien said with what CSNNE.com described as a wry smile. “You know this is the kind of series where you won’t need to give the players a pep talk, but instead you’ll send a message about managing emotions.”

No doubt about it, the latest installment of one of the NHL’s most storied rivalries should be a lot of fun. Julien seems hopeful that he can channel that hostility in the right direction.

In case you’re wondering, the NHL announced that Game 1 of this series will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday in Boston.

1. ibieiniid - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:24 PM

yessss some bulletin board material for the Habs, just in time. call me hopeful, but a bruins/habs and pens/flyers second round may turn out to be the best playoff hockey we’ve seen in a long time in the east. cmon flyers, one more W.

• hockey412 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I can’t imagine who would thumb down that comment!

• hockey412 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Ah, wait – Rangers fans…forgot. Nevermind that.

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I have a feeling it was that last sentence. FlyersHateCentral on PHT right now.

• kovodisc - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Bulletin board material for the Habs? Pretty sure they already know he hates them. They don’t need any extra motivation to beat their old coach…

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:46 AM

pretty sure every Flyer knew Crosby hated them when he said he hated them. didn’t work any less as motivation.

• bbgraf08 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM

This isn’t exactly bulletin board material. It was actually fairly diplomatic.

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:04 AM

alright fine, I’ll admit it. I already drank quite a few when I commented and didn’t even read the article til after i hit post…. only to see that the writer used the words “bulletin board material” too (was purely coincidental). but even still, you don’t think they’ll use anything they can for the extra motivation to win, even if they’re aware that’s why they’re doing?

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM

why they’re doing it?*

• bbgraf08 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Ha-I can certainly understand that, but I don’t think Montreal needs this type of talk to get motivated. I’m sure if any additional motivation is needed (which it won’t), the events that take place in game 1 will spur that.

• ibieiniid - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM

valid point. again, TMZHT working me up when I’ve been drinking. but ya I can’t wait to watch this series, regardless of what’s on the b-board.

• drewsylvania - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM

If the Habs need to reach that far for bulletin-board material, they’re in trouble already.

2. stcrowe - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM

The story wasn’t nearly as exciting as that headline suggested. In fact, it is kind of a non-story.

• 101starmymedic - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Yea, these blog writers are just as bad as actual journalists. It’s like Nancy Grace had a bunch of children and they all decided to blog for PHT.

This just in; Steve Jobs says he hates white people! Come back after these messages for the full story.

Then it’s like, Steve Jobs hates white people who are racist towards others.

3. mangoman1966 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Hes going to hats Montreal even more after they beat Boston’s ass

• mangoman1966 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Hate. Damn kindle

• numbcracker2109 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:51 PM

We all hats Montreal, it’s ok.

• matt14gg - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:38 AM

I definitely hats Montreal.

• bruinsfan87 - Apr 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I hats Montreal!!! And really hats Subban

4. blomfeld - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:58 PM

GOOD ON JULIEN FOR CALLING A ‘SPADE’ A SPADE !

Notwithstanding PHT hockey conversations and such as, the bottom line is that ‘these’ people again recently threatened separation and the dismemberment of our glorious Canadian confederation ! Anyway, like Claude Julien, I too am originally from Montreal, though ‘different’ blood pulsates through my veins. Nonetheless, that takes nothing away from the fact that ‘these’ people are nothing more than ‘agents of upset’ and as such they will now be ‘dealt with’ by the ‘tax evading’ separatists from Boston !

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!! :)

“these rustics are so inept … it almost takes the honor out of victory” ….

5. ajbaxter1975 - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Canadiens pork Julien and Bruins in the ass, eh?

• ironyisadeadscene - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:21 AM

You hoser

• cadlow - Apr 30, 2014 at 6:26 AM

what are you implying about the canadiens? Is their locker room alittle to friendly?..not that there’s anything wrong with that…..

• the8man - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Up ya nose wit a rubber hose, wanker!

6. c9castine - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:35 AM

This series is going to be full of talking from the coaches. Bet on that…Therien is not one to keep his opinions locked up and Julien has been known to run his mouth from time to time.

Therien was made for series like this. Julien is just good all the time. Should be a fun one.

• drewsylvania - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I’m sure Therrien is already reminding his team of how to deliver dirty hits and get away with it.

7. cadlow - Apr 30, 2014 at 5:56 AM

You know what I hate….
    waiting ………….start the f ing series already…….

Time to feed the bear some canadien bacon
    B’s in 5

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Or B’s 4, Carey Price 1

8. pastabelly - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Say it in French Claude.

In Boston, we don’t complain about having French coaches (as long as they win).

9. billiam55 - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:38 AM

this headline is misleading. go f urself nbc

10. joey4id - Apr 30, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Our allegiance usually follows the money. No big deal.

Can Boston become the first team since the 1979 Canadiens to play all their playoff games against original 6 teams and win the Stanley Cup? The 79 Habs had 12 wins beating Toronto, Boston and the Rangers. They can pull this off if the Rangers make it to the semis and Hawks make it to the big dance. The Bruins will become the first team to do it requiring 16 wins since the format was changed in 1987.

• pastabelly - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Do you really care who the Bruins have to play to win the Cup? You may as well go through the best and the NY Rangers will be lucky to beat the Flyers. As a hockey fan, I would rather see Flyers-Penguins. Look at the possible series for the second round. Montreal vs Boston, Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia, Anaheim vs LA, and Chicago vs (well, not much here). Just enjoy the hockey and forget about original six stuff. I enjoyed the Bruins-Vancouver Final as much as I would have any original six match up. As for the third round, Bruins vs Penguins or even Flyers has more rivalry flavor now than even Boston-NY.

• joey4id - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I addressed this in other comments.

“Happy 7th game! Go Flyers. Can you imagine another battle of PA?”

“I’m torn between the Rangers beating the Flyers because I selected NY to win, and the Flyers winning so we get to enjoy another battle of PA.”

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 30, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Ya pastabelly,

He has covered his a^^ in previous posts. (Sarcasm insinuated)

11. joey4id - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Gotta love spring hockey. Three series reach the limit of seven games tonight, and tomorrow we get to enjoy game 1 of the Habs/Bruins series.

12. hockey412 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:37 AM

And I hate Julien no matter where he is.

• dropthepuckeh - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I would too if Bylsma was coaching my team….

• pats2001 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM

i don’t care that you hate him, there’s a lot of guys around the league that i hate…i’m just curious from a non Bruins fans’ perspective, what is it about Claude that you hate?

• pastabelly - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Maybe hockey412 is really Lou Lamierello. :)

• hockey412 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM

It’s the hypocrisy, to be honest. Always lashing out about how the other team is this or that, all the while his own house is glass.

Whether it be his comments on diving (more than once), or dirty/foul play (more than once), going after players, or even comments about hypocrisy itself, the guy reeks of a one-sided hypocrit. And that side is the side that pays him the money. It’s his job to coach, and he does a damn fine job of it. But his comments are too much.

• pepper2011 - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM

@412 – All coaches have to defend their team. And I know it’s nearly impossible for you to accept this, but the Bruins dive or embellish less than any other team in the league.

If you really listen to him; he calls out Marchand and Lucic when they cross the line. Which he has also got them both to do less and less as they get older.

I have never really heard him “lash” out at another team. The Habs dive. it’s part of their culture. He coached there and he knows it. He also knows they will get penalties at home they don’t deserve.

I know it’s easy to hate the Bruins because they are very good. They really aren’t dirty. They play hard, but for the style that they play every day; they really do keep it on the right side of the line (most of the time).

I can’t point out a more perfect example than the Power plays. There is no way you can tell me that a team with the Top 6 (and really top 9) talent that this team has; along with their Defense that they are the team that should draw the LEAST amount of penalties in the league. Less than Buffalo. Less than Florida, Less than Calgary.

Add that to the fact that they are one of the better puck possession teams and you have an anomaly. Something is not right.

The Bruins will embellish when they skate through penalties and they are not called. I hate it, most B’s fans hate it, but can justify it when Dougie Hamilton is on the bench bleeding from a high stick, but he didn’t whip his head back like he had been shot, so there was no call.

not baiting; seriously asking… what hypocrisy?

13. sports2020 - Apr 30, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Can’t beat the intensity and drama of playoff hockey. So far with how the Hawks came storming back. Deciding games between the Kings and Sharks, Flyers and Rangers, and now a little rivalry happening in the Wild and Avalanche series in their seventh. The drama of these playoffs continue. Beginning with one of the best rivalries in ALL of sports. The Boston Bruins going to war again their arch rivals Montreal Canadians. The chase for the Cup has just added some more horsepower.

14. kovodisc - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Has the potential to be one of the best playoff series of all time.

Lets sit back and enjoy this one fellas.

Go B’s!

• kovodisc - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I say “sit back” yet I don’t think I’m sitting for more than 5 minutes of game play – intermission is a different story.

15. montrealbbr - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Montreal will shut Julien up when they sweep his terrible team of goons! I am predicting blowouts in almost all of those games too. Boston had their hands full with Detroit and Montreal is a far superior team to them. I wonder which number will be higher, the number of goals that Montreal scores or the number of Bruins ejected from games?

• gino97 - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM

TROLL CITY: POPULATION MONTREALBBR.

• infectorman - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM

“Hands full” with Detroit? Did they not win it in 5?
      The only game Detroit won was on a screen goal that took an single exceptional individual effort to make happen

You are delusional

• ironyisadeadscene - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I’ll take this one, I bet more Bruins get ejected than Montreal goals scored

• dropthepuckeh - Apr 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Habsman – your precious Habs beat a team without their starting goalie and needed late B.S. calls from the ref to get it done. The Bruins played a far superior (and respectable) team and dropped one game. I think it will be a close series and go 6 or 7 I just hope the Bruins aren’t playing against the refs as well as the Habs….

• montrealbbr - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM

The Habs swept a higher seeded team! It took Boston five games to beat the lowest seeded team! Boston struggled to beat a Detroit team that has a bad goalie and only a few good defenders. Not to mention that they had to play dirty to do that. Good luck trying to compete with Montreal who has a gold medalist in net and last years Norris trophy winner on their blueline!

16. kovodisc - Apr 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

LOL – thanks for the laugh this morning – needed that

17. drewsylvania - Apr 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Non-story, but I’m happy for the excuse to listen to the smack tal.

18. khar9 - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM