Apr 29, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
For Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Ben Bishop, the 2013-14 season was a breakthrough campaign, but it was also a painful one in some ways. That can be seen in how his run ended and the fact that he underwent successful wrist surgery on a torn ligament in his right wrist on Tuesday.
The team expects Bishop to be ready for the 2014-15 season’s training camp.
Remarkably, his wrist wasn’t even the issue that forced him to miss out on the Lightning’s playoff series (in which it must have been painful to watch his team get swept by the Montreal Canadiens). Instead, he acknowledged that the problem was a dislocated elbow suffered on April 8. This wrist issue had been bothering the U.S.-born goalie since February.
Combine those injury issues with being left off the U.S. Olympic team despite superlative numbers in 2013-14 and it’s easy to chalk this up as a rough year for the big goalie.
Still, it wasn’t all bad for the 27-year-old. He’s one of the three finalists for the Vezina Trophy thanks to those superlative numbers and it’s abundantly clear that he’s the go-to guy in the Lightning net.
The Bolts must hope that they can go to him if they make the playoffs next season, then.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)