Apr 29, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
For Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Ben Bishop, the 2013-14 season was a breakthrough campaign, but it was also a painful one in some ways. That can be seen in how his run ended and the fact that he underwent successful wrist surgery on a torn ligament in his right wrist on Tuesday.
The team expects Bishop to be ready for the 2014-15 season’s training camp.
Remarkably, his wrist wasn’t even the issue that forced him to miss out on the Lightning’s playoff series (in which it must have been painful to watch his team get swept by the Montreal Canadiens). Instead, he acknowledged that the problem was a dislocated elbow suffered on April 8. This wrist issue had been bothering the U.S.-born goalie since February.
Combine those injury issues with being left off the U.S. Olympic team despite superlative numbers in 2013-14 and it’s easy to chalk this up as a rough year for the big goalie.
Still, it wasn’t all bad for the 27-year-old. He’s one of the three finalists for the Vezina Trophy thanks to those superlative numbers and it’s abundantly clear that he’s the go-to guy in the Lightning net.
The Bolts must hope that they can go to him if they make the playoffs next season, then.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 23
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 2
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (56)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)