Apr 28, 2014, 11:53 PM EST
Nights like these are why Minnesota paid Zach Parise the big bucks.
The Wild alternate captain was in on four goals in Monday’s 5-2 win over Colorado, notching a pair of assists and scoring twice — including the game-winner — to help his club stave off elimination and force Game 7 on Wednesday in Colorado.
It was easily Parise’s biggest performance in his two seasons with the Wild. Facing a win-or-go-home scenario, he opened the scoring just 49 seconds in, tipping home a Ryan Suter point shot to give Minnesota just its third power play goal of the series.
Just under nine mutes later, Parise was at it again, registering an assist on Mikael Granlund‘s second goal of the playoffs to give the Wild a comfortable 2-0 lead — well, about as comfortable as a lead can be in these playoffs.
As has been the case throughout this series and many others, a two-goal advantage didn’t prove to be worth much. The Avs stormed back with a shorthanded marker by Paul Stastny — his fourth goal of the series — a goal that really seemed to shift momentum. It came just as the Wild frittered away a 5-on-3 man advantage and the spark carried over to the second period, when Nick Holden scored a power play marker less than five minutes in to even the score at two.
From there, things tightened up and the possibility of a fourth overtime game between the two appeared likely — until Parise decided otherwise.
With less than seven minutes remaining, the 13-year, $98 million man once again went to the hard area and was rewarded, tipping home another point shot (this one from captain Mikko Koivu) to notch what proved to be the game-winner.
As mentioned above, the first and possibly only Game 7 of the opening playoff round will go Wednesday in Colorado. Given that the home team has won every game this series, the Avs have to be confident — but that said, the Wild will be riding high after emerging victorious in their first elimination game of the year.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM EST
A touch dramatic, right?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
An impressive effort for a team going all-in.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
Then again, Taylor Beck’s helper might have been better.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
He’ll pair with Sergei Gonchar to start.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)