Apr 28, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche pulled off a dramatic comeback in Game 5 that culminated in 18-year-old Nathan MacKinnon becoming the youngest player to net a playoff overtime game-winner since Don Gallinger in 1943.
MacKinnon has been a beast in this series, scoring two goals and 10 points, but like most of the Avalanche, he’s done significantly better at home than in the Xcel Energy Center. Given that Game 6 is in Minnesota, that’s a trend Colorado will be looking to end.
“We have to play with a little more poise (in Minnesota),” MacKinnon said. “We were rushing plays. Other than the crowd, everything’s the same. We have to get off to a better start, that’s for sure.”
If they can pull it off, the Avalanche will win their first playoff series since 2008. Not bad for a team that finished last in the Western Conference last year.
Given how well Colorado has done without its leading scorer, the Wild could face an uphill battle tonight as they look to extend their campaign.
The contest will start at 9:00 p.m. ET and air on CNBC. You can also stream it online:
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)