Apr 28, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche pulled off a dramatic comeback in Game 5 that culminated in 18-year-old Nathan MacKinnon becoming the youngest player to net a playoff overtime game-winner since Don Gallinger in 1943.
MacKinnon has been a beast in this series, scoring two goals and 10 points, but like most of the Avalanche, he’s done significantly better at home than in the Xcel Energy Center. Given that Game 6 is in Minnesota, that’s a trend Colorado will be looking to end.
“We have to play with a little more poise (in Minnesota),” MacKinnon said. “We were rushing plays. Other than the crowd, everything’s the same. We have to get off to a better start, that’s for sure.”
If they can pull it off, the Avalanche will win their first playoff series since 2008. Not bad for a team that finished last in the Western Conference last year.
Given how well Colorado has done without its leading scorer, the Wild could face an uphill battle tonight as they look to extend their campaign.
The contest will start at 9:00 p.m. ET and air on CNBC. You can also stream it online:
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)