Apr 28, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche pulled off a dramatic comeback in Game 5 that culminated in 18-year-old Nathan MacKinnon becoming the youngest player to net a playoff overtime game-winner since Don Gallinger in 1943.
MacKinnon has been a beast in this series, scoring two goals and 10 points, but like most of the Avalanche, he’s done significantly better at home than in the Xcel Energy Center. Given that Game 6 is in Minnesota, that’s a trend Colorado will be looking to end.
“We have to play with a little more poise (in Minnesota),” MacKinnon said. “We were rushing plays. Other than the crowd, everything’s the same. We have to get off to a better start, that’s for sure.”
If they can pull it off, the Avalanche will win their first playoff series since 2008. Not bad for a team that finished last in the Western Conference last year.
Given how well Colorado has done without its leading scorer, the Wild could face an uphill battle tonight as they look to extend their campaign.
The contest will start at 9:00 p.m. ET and air on CNBC. You can also stream it online:
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)