Apr 28, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
George McPhee’s “only regret” is that the Washington Capitals never won a Stanley Cup while he was general manager.
But that doesn’t mean the franchise didn’t take significant strides under his leadership.
“Obviously I did something right because we won a lot of division titles and everything else,” McPhee said. “It’s a great hockey market. The building’s full. And I really think we’ve treated people right. Treated their families right. It’s been a wonderful place to live and work.”
Granted, Alex Ovechkin was the major reason the Caps went from one of the NHL’s afterthoughts to one of its most high-profile clubs. And for McPhee’s critics, it was Washington’s inability to get past the second round of the playoffs during the Ovechkin era that made a change in management necessary.
“Am I disappointed? I was terminated, of course,” McPhee said, per CSN Washington. “But it’s not the end of the world. I’ve had worse days in my life. I’ve got lots to be thankful for and my family’s got lots to be thankful for and lots to look forward to.”
As for the future of the Capitals in the post-McPhee era?
“I honestly believe they can win a Cup,” he said.
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 1
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 4
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)