Apr 28, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
George McPhee’s “only regret” is that the Washington Capitals never won a Stanley Cup while he was general manager.
But that doesn’t mean the franchise didn’t take significant strides under his leadership.
“Obviously I did something right because we won a lot of division titles and everything else,” McPhee said. “It’s a great hockey market. The building’s full. And I really think we’ve treated people right. Treated their families right. It’s been a wonderful place to live and work.”
Granted, Alex Ovechkin was the major reason the Caps went from one of the NHL’s afterthoughts to one of its most high-profile clubs. And for McPhee’s critics, it was Washington’s inability to get past the second round of the playoffs during the Ovechkin era that made a change in management necessary.
“Am I disappointed? I was terminated, of course,” McPhee said, per CSN Washington. “But it’s not the end of the world. I’ve had worse days in my life. I’ve got lots to be thankful for and my family’s got lots to be thankful for and lots to look forward to.”
As for the future of the Capitals in the post-McPhee era?
“I honestly believe they can win a Cup,” he said.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)