Apr 28, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
George McPhee’s “only regret” is that the Washington Capitals never won a Stanley Cup while he was general manager.
But that doesn’t mean the franchise didn’t take significant strides under his leadership.
“Obviously I did something right because we won a lot of division titles and everything else,” McPhee said. “It’s a great hockey market. The building’s full. And I really think we’ve treated people right. Treated their families right. It’s been a wonderful place to live and work.”
Granted, Alex Ovechkin was the major reason the Caps went from one of the NHL’s afterthoughts to one of its most high-profile clubs. And for McPhee’s critics, it was Washington’s inability to get past the second round of the playoffs during the Ovechkin era that made a change in management necessary.
“Am I disappointed? I was terminated, of course,” McPhee said, per CSN Washington. “But it’s not the end of the world. I’ve had worse days in my life. I’ve got lots to be thankful for and my family’s got lots to be thankful for and lots to look forward to.”
As for the future of the Capitals in the post-McPhee era?
“I honestly believe they can win a Cup,” he said.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)