Apr 28, 2014, 3:04 PM EST
George McPhee’s “only regret” is that the Washington Capitals never won a Stanley Cup while he was general manager.
But that doesn’t mean the franchise didn’t take significant strides under his leadership.
“Obviously I did something right because we won a lot of division titles and everything else,” McPhee said. “It’s a great hockey market. The building’s full. And I really think we’ve treated people right. Treated their families right. It’s been a wonderful place to live and work.”
Granted, Alex Ovechkin was the major reason the Caps went from one of the NHL’s afterthoughts to one of its most high-profile clubs. And for McPhee’s critics, it was Washington’s inability to get past the second round of the playoffs during the Ovechkin era that made a change in management necessary.
“Am I disappointed? I was terminated, of course,” McPhee said, per CSN Washington. “But it’s not the end of the world. I’ve had worse days in my life. I’ve got lots to be thankful for and my family’s got lots to be thankful for and lots to look forward to.”
As for the future of the Capitals in the post-McPhee era?
“I honestly believe they can win a Cup,” he said.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)