Apr 28, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
The Calgary Flames introduced Brad Treliving as their new general manager today.
According to Brian Burke, the club’s president of hockey operations, Treliving “has been identified as the top young guy in the business and it’s evident that he has prepared carefully for this day, acquiring extensive front office experience in all areas.”
Treliving — who comes over from the Phoenix Coyotes’ front office, where he worked under Don Maloney — will report to Burke and be responsible for all team personnel decisions.
Some brief highlights from Treliving’s introductory press conference, which also featured Burke:
— Bob Hartley “will be the coach of this team,” said Treliving, confirming what Burke said earlier in the month.
— “I think we need to get bigger,” said Treliving, echoing what Burke said last year.
— Treliving believes the Flames have a legitimate number-one goalie in Karri Ramo.
— Treliving was the only candidate that was interviewed for the position. (Burke didn’t expect the Coyotes to grant permission to speak to Treliving until after the draft. When they did grant permission, the Flames had a “tight window” to hire him, and did so.)
— Is the new GM a believer in analytics? “You’re always trying to find information. … We’ll be leading the league in digging for information.” Though ultimately he believes you still have to go watch the player.
— Treliving on the experience he gained working for a budget-conscious team like the Coyotes: “We had to make smart decisions. … Without smart decisions, we had a noose.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)