Apr 28, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames introduced Brad Treliving as their new general manager today.
According to Brian Burke, the club’s president of hockey operations, Treliving “has been identified as the top young guy in the business and it’s evident that he has prepared carefully for this day, acquiring extensive front office experience in all areas.”
Treliving — who comes over from the Phoenix Coyotes’ front office, where he worked under Don Maloney — will report to Burke and be responsible for all team personnel decisions.
Some brief highlights from Treliving’s introductory press conference, which also featured Burke:
— Bob Hartley “will be the coach of this team,” said Treliving, confirming what Burke said earlier in the month.
— “I think we need to get bigger,” said Treliving, echoing what Burke said last year.
— Treliving believes the Flames have a legitimate number-one goalie in Karri Ramo.
— Treliving was the only candidate that was interviewed for the position. (Burke didn’t expect the Coyotes to grant permission to speak to Treliving until after the draft. When they did grant permission, the Flames had a “tight window” to hire him, and did so.)
— Is the new GM a believer in analytics? “You’re always trying to find information. … We’ll be leading the league in digging for information.” Though ultimately he believes you still have to go watch the player.
— Treliving on the experience he gained working for a budget-conscious team like the Coyotes: “We had to make smart decisions. … Without smart decisions, we had a noose.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)