Apr 28, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins advanced to the second round tonight, but they still have a lot to prove going forward. They had a 4-0 lead going into the third period and once again the Penguins weren’t able to play sound defensively with the lead.
Ultimately the clock was their friend as the Blue Jackets still lost 4-3.
With the exception of Game 5, even when the Penguins did win in this series, it was by overwhelming Columbus offensively and that’s a strategy that will be difficult to pull off in the later rounds against more experienced and loaded teams.
Fleury took a lot of heat for his collapse in Game 4 and questions remain about his future in Pittsburgh after years of being solid in the regular season and less than satisfactory in the playoffs.
In the end, it was Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin that was the hero tonight. He ended his career-worst nine playoff game scoring drought with style by posting a hat trick.
Given how the Penguins played while missing them for a large chunk of the third period, it would be very troubling if either of those injuries proved to be significant.
At the end of the day though, Pittsburgh did prevail. The team still has a chance to silence the critics and its goal of winning the Stanley Cup is still alive.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 1
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 27
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)