Apr 28, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Online oddsmaker Bovada has released its list of potential candidates for the vacant head coaching gig in Washington, and a pair of recently-dismissed bench bosses top the list.
Peter Laviolette, fired by the Flyers three games into the 2013-14 campaign, and Barry Trotz — the first and only head coach in Nashville Predators history — are both listed as 3-1 favorites.
Following not far behind is another ex-Philly coach, current Kings assistant John Stevens, and former Lightning bench boss Guy Boucher, who’s currently coaching in Switzerland.
The full list, per Bovada:
Peter Laviolette 3/1
Barry Trotz 3/1
John Stevens 11/2
Guy Boucher 11/2
Mike Haviland 11/2
Kevin Dineen 9/1
Phil Housley 9/1
Glen Gulutzan 9/1
Mike Keenan 10/1
Jeff Blashill 16/1
For those that aren’t familiar with some of the names:
— Haviland coaches Washington’s AHL affiliate in Hershey, and previously served as Joel Quenneville’s assistant in Chicago.
— Blashill is the head coach of Detroit’s AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids. The Griffins won the Calder Cup last season and Blashill was named AHL coach of the year two weeks ago.
— Gulutzan (who you should probably know) coached in Dallas for two seasons before getting replaced by Lindy Ruff. He spent last year as John Tortorella’s assistant in Vancouver.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5