Apr 28, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Online oddsmaker Bovada has released its list of potential candidates for the vacant head coaching gig in Washington, and a pair of recently-dismissed bench bosses top the list.
Peter Laviolette, fired by the Flyers three games into the 2013-14 campaign, and Barry Trotz — the first and only head coach in Nashville Predators history — are both listed as 3-1 favorites.
Following not far behind is another ex-Philly coach, current Kings assistant John Stevens, and former Lightning bench boss Guy Boucher, who’s currently coaching in Switzerland.
The full list, per Bovada:
Peter Laviolette 3/1
Barry Trotz 3/1
John Stevens 11/2
Guy Boucher 11/2
Mike Haviland 11/2
Kevin Dineen 9/1
Phil Housley 9/1
Glen Gulutzan 9/1
Mike Keenan 10/1
Jeff Blashill 16/1
For those that aren’t familiar with some of the names:
– Haviland coaches Washington’s AHL affiliate in Hershey, and previously served as Joel Quenneville’s assistant in Chicago.
– Blashill is the head coach of Detroit’s AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids. The Griffins won the Calder Cup last season and Blashill was named AHL coach of the year two weeks ago.
– Gulutzan (who you should probably know) coached in Dallas for two seasons before getting replaced by Lindy Ruff. He spent last year as John Tortorella’s assistant in Vancouver.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)