Apr 28, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Online oddsmaker Bovada has released its list of potential candidates for the vacant head coaching gig in Washington, and a pair of recently-dismissed bench bosses top the list.
Peter Laviolette, fired by the Flyers three games into the 2013-14 campaign, and Barry Trotz — the first and only head coach in Nashville Predators history — are both listed as 3-1 favorites.
Following not far behind is another ex-Philly coach, current Kings assistant John Stevens, and former Lightning bench boss Guy Boucher, who’s currently coaching in Switzerland.
The full list, per Bovada:
Peter Laviolette 3/1
Barry Trotz 3/1
John Stevens 11/2
Guy Boucher 11/2
Mike Haviland 11/2
Kevin Dineen 9/1
Phil Housley 9/1
Glen Gulutzan 9/1
Mike Keenan 10/1
Jeff Blashill 16/1
For those that aren’t familiar with some of the names:
— Haviland coaches Washington’s AHL affiliate in Hershey, and previously served as Joel Quenneville’s assistant in Chicago.
— Blashill is the head coach of Detroit’s AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids. The Griffins won the Calder Cup last season and Blashill was named AHL coach of the year two weeks ago.
— Gulutzan (who you should probably know) coached in Dallas for two seasons before getting replaced by Lindy Ruff. He spent last year as John Tortorella’s assistant in Vancouver.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)