Apr 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
To say the Avs had a tough go of things in Minnesota for Games 3 and 4 of their opening round series would be a major understatement.
Colorado lost both games, scoring once, and put a mere 34 shots on goal — including just 12 in the Game 4 loss — as the Wild rallied from 2-0 down to even the series. Now, heading back to Xcel for Game 6, Nathan MacKinnon thinks he knows how to solve his team’s road woes.
“We have to play with a little more poise,” MacKinnon said, per the Denver Post. “We were rushing plays. Other than the crowd, everything’s the same. We have to get off to a better start, that’s for sure.”
A better start is definitely key. The Avs were out-shot 36-11 in the two opening periods in Minnesota, though that disparity was mitigated by the fact the Wild only scored one first-period marker in the two games. Colorado’s biggest issue, it seemed, was getting quality chances on rookie netminder Darcy Kuemper who, at one point, had a shutout streak of 110 minutes and allowed just one goal on his first 48 shots faced.
When the games have been played at the Pepsi Center, the Avs have been dynamic offensively. They’ve gone for 13 goals, most of which have come from the red-hot MacKinnon-Paul Stastny–Gabriel Landeskog line — and tonight, head coach Patrick Roy expects the trio to carry the team once again, but this time in hostile territory.
“I’m not guaranteeing any results, but we know how it’s going to be over there,” he said. “We know how their fans are going to react, we know how they’re going to play. There aren’t going to be any surprises. If they beat us, they beat us.”
“We’re going to have to play the exact same way we did (Saturday).”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)