Apr 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
To say the Avs had a tough go of things in Minnesota for Games 3 and 4 of their opening round series would be a major understatement.
Colorado lost both games, scoring once, and put a mere 34 shots on goal — including just 12 in the Game 4 loss — as the Wild rallied from 2-0 down to even the series. Now, heading back to Xcel for Game 6, Nathan MacKinnon thinks he knows how to solve his team’s road woes.
“We have to play with a little more poise,” MacKinnon said, per the Denver Post. “We were rushing plays. Other than the crowd, everything’s the same. We have to get off to a better start, that’s for sure.”
A better start is definitely key. The Avs were out-shot 36-11 in the two opening periods in Minnesota, though that disparity was mitigated by the fact the Wild only scored one first-period marker in the two games. Colorado’s biggest issue, it seemed, was getting quality chances on rookie netminder Darcy Kuemper who, at one point, had a shutout streak of 110 minutes and allowed just one goal on his first 48 shots faced.
When the games have been played at the Pepsi Center, the Avs have been dynamic offensively. They’ve gone for 13 goals, most of which have come from the red-hot MacKinnon-Paul Stastny-Gabriel Landeskog line — and tonight, head coach Patrick Roy expects the trio to carry the team once again, but this time in hostile territory.
“I’m not guaranteeing any results, but we know how it’s going to be over there,” he said. “We know how their fans are going to react, we know how they’re going to play. There aren’t going to be any surprises. If they beat us, they beat us.”
“We’re going to have to play the exact same way we did (Saturday).”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)