Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
After a lengthy search, the Flames got their man.
Brad Treliving, who’s been Don Maloney’s assistant in Phoenix since 2007, has been hired as the seventh GM in Calgary franchise history, per TSN. The decision comes more than four months after club president Brian Burke dismissed ex-GM Jay Feaster, who had held the post since 2010.
Though not a household name, Treliving has been tabbed as a general-manager-in-waiting across the NHL for quite some time. In addition to impressing as Maloney’s assistant with the Coyotes, Treliving was also the head man for the team’s AHL affiliate — first in San Antonio, then in its current location in Portland — and has overseen the development of a number of Phoenix’s recent draftees, including the likes of Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Mikkel Boedker, Brandon Gormley and Connor Murphy.
Treliving will have plenty to do in Calgary, but also inherits something of a clean slate. The club has 19 players under contract for next season but, because so many of them are on entry-level deals, Calgary has roughly $25-27 million in available cap space to utilize in free agency.
What’s more, the Flames will pick fourth overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and have additional picks in the second (from Colorado, for Reto Berra) and third (from Pittsburgh, for Lee Stempniak) rounds.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)