Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
After a lengthy search, the Flames got their man.
Brad Treliving, who’s been Don Maloney’s assistant in Phoenix since 2007, has been hired as the seventh GM in Calgary franchise history, per TSN. The decision comes more than four months after club president Brian Burke dismissed ex-GM Jay Feaster, who had held the post since 2010.
Though not a household name, Treliving has been tabbed as a general-manager-in-waiting across the NHL for quite some time. In addition to impressing as Maloney’s assistant with the Coyotes, Treliving was also the head man for the team’s AHL affiliate — first in San Antonio, then in its current location in Portland — and has overseen the development of a number of Phoenix’s recent draftees, including the likes of Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Mikkel Boedker, Brandon Gormley and Connor Murphy.
Treliving will have plenty to do in Calgary, but also inherits something of a clean slate. The club has 19 players under contract for next season but, because so many of them are on entry-level deals, Calgary has roughly $25-27 million in available cap space to utilize in free agency.
What’s more, the Flames will pick fourth overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and have additional picks in the second (from Colorado, for Reto Berra) and third (from Pittsburgh, for Lee Stempniak) rounds.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)