Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
After a lengthy search, the Flames got their man.
Brad Treliving, who’s been Don Maloney’s assistant in Phoenix since 2007, has been hired as the seventh GM in Calgary franchise history, per TSN. The decision comes more than four months after club president Brian Burke dismissed ex-GM Jay Feaster, who had held the post since 2010.
Though not a household name, Treliving has been tabbed as a general-manager-in-waiting across the NHL for quite some time. In addition to impressing as Maloney’s assistant with the Coyotes, Treliving was also the head man for the team’s AHL affiliate — first in San Antonio, then in its current location in Portland — and has overseen the development of a number of Phoenix’s recent draftees, including the likes of Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Mikkel Boedker, Brandon Gormley and Connor Murphy.
Treliving will have plenty to do in Calgary, but also inherits something of a clean slate. The club has 19 players under contract for next season but, because so many of them are on entry-level deals, Calgary has roughly $25-27 million in available cap space to utilize in free agency.
What’s more, the Flames will pick fourth overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and have additional picks in the second (from Colorado, for Reto Berra) and third (from Pittsburgh, for Lee Stempniak) rounds.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)