Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
After a lengthy search, the Flames got their man.
Brad Treliving, who’s been Don Maloney’s assistant in Phoenix since 2007, has been hired as the seventh GM in Calgary franchise history, per TSN. The decision comes more than four months after club president Brian Burke dismissed ex-GM Jay Feaster, who had held the post since 2010.
Though not a household name, Treliving has been tabbed as a general-manager-in-waiting across the NHL for quite some time. In addition to impressing as Maloney’s assistant with the Coyotes, Treliving was also the head man for the team’s AHL affiliate — first in San Antonio, then in its current location in Portland — and has overseen the development of a number of Phoenix’s recent draftees, including the likes of Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Mikkel Boedker, Brandon Gormley and Connor Murphy.
Treliving will have plenty to do in Calgary, but also inherits something of a clean slate. The club has 19 players under contract for next season but, because so many of them are on entry-level deals, Calgary has roughly $25-27 million in available cap space to utilize in free agency.
What’s more, the Flames will pick fourth overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and have additional picks in the second (from Colorado, for Reto Berra) and third (from Pittsburgh, for Lee Stempniak) rounds.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)